Watch the dramatic moment an accused paedophile is pounced on by undercover detectives in a McDonalds carpark after he thought he was meeting a 13-year-old girl
- A Gold Coast man was charged with child sex offences relating to a 13yo girl
- Detectives swooped on the 42-year old in the carpark of a busy McDonalds
- He allegedly sent explicit photos, videos and tried to meet her for sexual activity
Undercover detectives have pounced on an accused paedophile in a McDonalds carpark, foiling his alleged attempts to meet what he thought was a 13-year-old girl in the fast food restaurant.
Task Force Argos is a branch of the Queensland Police and was founded in 1997 to investigate institutional child abuse allegations.
The task force has since expanded its remit and is now responsible for the investigation of online child exploitation and abuse.
In the footage, the group of undercover detectives could be seen marching the handcuffed man, wearing no shoes and ripped jean shorts, to a nearby car.
The detectives masked their identity well, with one wearing a bright orange, high-vis shirt to look like a tradie while the other officers dressed casually in jeans and sneakers.
Investigations into the Upper Coomera man began last month when he contacted a social media profile run by an undercover Argos officer, posing as a 13-year old girl.
Police will allege the man engaged in behaviour which constituted grooming of a child, including sending explicit photographs and videos of himself.
The man’s behaviour allegedly escalated to him making arrangements for the child to skip school in order to meet him for sexual activity in a local motel.
The man was charged with using the internet to procure a child under 16 years of age with a circumstance of aggravation that the offender, went to a place with the intention of meeting the child and four counts of grooming a child under 16 years of age with intent to expose to indecent matter.
Detective Inspector Glen Donaldson of Taskforce Argos said the case perfectly highlighted the risk posed to children by online predators and he urged parents to be vigilant with online safety.
‘Research by the Commonwealth eSafety Commissioner has identified that 1 in 4 children have been approached by a stranger online. This is extremely concerning and highlights the need for parents to be aware of their child’s online footprint and to speak with their child about online safety’, Detective Inspector Donaldson said.
‘Supervision is the key to prevention, as is ongoing communication with children about how to stay safe online and the dangers of having online “friends” they have never met face-to-face’.
A 42-year old Upper Coomera man has been charged with child sex offences relating to a 13 year-old girl who he planned to meet at a local McDonalds but instead met detectives.
The man allegedly sent explicit photos and videos and tried to meet the underage girl for sexual activity, however, he was speaking to an Argos detective posing as a teenager
‘Every day Argos has undercover officers working in a range of online platforms to detect and apprehend people who seek to exploit children in our community.
‘To those that seek to engage in this predatory behaviour, just remember that the next ‘child’ that you engage may be a member of Argos.’
The 42-year-old man was charged with using the internet to procure a child under 16 years of age with a circumstance of aggravation that the offender went to a place with the intention of meeting the child and four counts of grooming a child under 16 years of age with intent to expose to indecent matter.
He will appear at the Brisbane Magistrates Court on Friday afternoon.