An Australian backpacker has shared horrifying footage of an allergic reaction he suffered working at a mango farm.
The pair continued their adventure and ended up in Darwin, where Mr Small found casual work on a mango farm in Humpty Doo, an hour’s drive away.
His face swelled up within days and was unable to see out of one of his eyes, which resulted in an emergency dash to hospital.
Mr Small has shared a TikTok clip of his 11 days on the farm, which ends with him looking very sore in a hospital bed.
Brendan Small’s allergy to mangoes landed him in a Darwin hospital as his face swelled up
‘Pick mangos they said, it’ll be fun they said,’ he captioned the footage which has since gone viral.
He has since been discharged from hospital and while his face has cleared up, he’s still suffering from skin irritations.
Mr Small had no idea of he had an allergy until his 11-day stint on the farm to top up his dwindling funds.
The Newcastle man (pictured) spent 11 days working on a mango farm in Humpty Doo
‘I was picking for 11 days and then s**t hit the fan,’ he told news.com.au.
‘I was wearing gloves and had a long-sleeve shirt on too. I have never been allergic to anything before so I am not sure what happened.
‘From what the (doctors) told me, it’s pretty common up here.’
His TikTok video has been inundated with viewers sharing their own horror reactions to mangoes.
Despite the long hours, Mr Small enjoyed the work but has no plans to take up mango picking again anytime soon.
Brendon Small has shared his memorable experience working on a mango farm near Darwin