Australia’s first ISIS bride is jailed in Turkey after she fled Syrian refugee camp with her kids

Sponsored Video
Spread the love
  •  
  •  
  • 1
  •  
  •  
  •   
  •  
  •  
    1
    Share

An Australian ISIS bride who left Melbourne to fight for the terrorist organisation has been jailed in Turkey for three years after fleeing a Syrian refugee camp with her two young children.

Zehra Duman, 26, was sentenced in court this week for recruiting brides to join ISIS and spruiking Islamic State propaganda on social media.  

She had been held in a Şanlıurfa jail on the Turkish border since July 17 after fleeing the Al-Hol camp in north-eastern Syria.    

Her four-year-old son Jarrad and one-year-old daughter Layla were placed in a children protection centre but are now in the custody of Ms Duman’s mother Ozlem Coskun who travelled from Melbourne for the hearing, the Herald Sun reports.   

Zehra Duman (pictured), 26, has been sentenced to three years in a Turkish jail for being a member of the Islamic state

Zehra Duman (pictured), 26, has been sentenced to three years in a Turkish jail for being a member of the Islamic state

The details of her sentence and which jail she will serve time in remain unclear.  

Daily Mail Australia has contacted the Department of Home Affairs and the Turkish Embassy for further comment.

Duman, then 19 became Australia’s first ISIS bride in 2014 when she fled to Syria to join the terrorist group and marry Mahmoud Abullatif, a former Melbourne party boy-turned Muslim extremist who was killed in airstrike just five weeks after their wedding.

She became a key ISIS recruiter on social media, posing with machine guns and on the bonnets of luxury cars stolen by the terrorists as she urged other Westerners to leave civilisation and join the Islamic regime. 

She remarried and had a son with her second husband and followed by a daughter with a third. Both men are also now dead. 

Zehra Duman (right) pictured as a teen with her mother Ozlem Coskun in Melbourne before fleeing to Syria

Zehra Duman (right) pictured as a teen with her mother Ozlem Coskun in Melbourne before fleeing to Syria

She had hoped one day to return to Australia with her children and appealed to the High Court earlier this year after her Australian citizenship was stripped by the federal government last October.  

Her lawyers are pursuing the case which will be heard later this year. 

‘Forget me, I just want my kids to see my family, to see hospitals, medication, psychologists, have a normal childhood,’ she told AAP last year.

‘You know what my son says when [my daughter] is sleeping, look Mummy [she’s] dead. This is messed up, he’s three years old, how can he know what death is?’

She also reportedly told an American humanitarian worker in a video obtained by the ABC last year that she was desperate to come home.

‘I want to go back to my country,’ the woman believed to be Ms Duman said.

‘I think everybody’s asking for that because I’m an Australian citizen.’

‘My kids have a right to be treated like normal kids.

‘I understand the anger that they have towards a lot of us here, but the kids don’t need to suffer.’    

Zehra Duman left Melbourne aged 19 to join the terror group in 2014. Pictured: the woman thought to be Duman alongside aid workers

Zehra Duman left Melbourne aged 19 to join the terror group in 2014. Pictured: the woman thought to be Duman alongside aid workers

Australian dual nationals can have their citizenship stripped if they fight for an enemy force or partake in certain criminal activities.    

At least 65 Australian women and children are among more than 70,000 refugees living in squalid conditions at the Al-Hol, or al-Hawl, camp for those displaced from the former IS territory in north-eastern Syria near the Iraq border. 

Ms Coskun begged the Australian government to bring her daughter and two grandchildren home in a rare interview with SBS Dateline 12 months ago. 

She said she had spent the last three years trying to rescue her daughter and described the conditions at Al-Hol as dangerous.

‘She could be murdered there tomorrow,’ Ms Coskun said.

‘It’s disturbing to think my child is living in a tent with two babies.’ 

She added Zehra described her behavour of fleeing to Syria to join ISIS as a ‘dumb mistake.

‘We all make mistakes and she’s sorry for what she’s done,’ Ms Coskun said.

‘She should be able to come back home.’ 

Ms Duman's first husband Mahmoud Abdullatif (pictured) was killed shortly after they married

Ms Duman’s first husband Mahmoud Abdullatif (pictured) was killed shortly after they married

Source


Spread the love
  •  
  •  
  • 1
  •  
  •  
  •   
  •  
  •  
    1
    Share

Related posts

Leave a Comment