Biden ‘REJECTS’ conditions of plea deals for five 9/11 suspects that would have seen them escape the death penalty following outrage from families
- Biden has rejected parts of deal for the five Guantanamo detainees
- Agreements sparing them the death penalty sparked outrage from 9/11 families
- Biden felt a deal with them would not ‘be appropriate in these circumstances’
President Joe Biden has rejected parts of the proposed plea deals for five alleged 9/11 plotters that would have seen them get life in prison instead of the death penalty, believing that it would not ‘be appropriate in these circumstances.’
The proposed deals sparked outrage from families of the almost 3,000 Americans killed in the attacks.
Terms included the request for assurances that they would not be held in solitary confinement and could eat and pray together, the New York Times reported.
They also wanted treatment for injuries sustained during their brutal interrogations.
A National Security Council spokesman told DailyMail.com that Biden ‘concurred with the Secretary of Defense’s recommendation not to accept the Joint Policy Principles that had been proposed by the 9-11 Defendants as a basis for plea negotiations.’
The spokesman continued: ‘The 9/11 attacks were the single worst assault on the United States since Pearl Harbor.
‘The President does not believe that accepting the joint policy principles as a basis for a pre-trial agreement would be appropriate in these circumstances.
‘The Administration is committed to ensuring that the military commissions process is fair and delivers justice to the victims, survivors, families, and those accused of crimes.’
The five men, including alleged mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, are detained in Guantanamo Bay and awaiting trial.
But Biden has rejected some of the stipulations, in what is being seen as a positive move by 9/11 families.
It is now up to military prosecutors to decide how to proceed with the trials.
Brett Eagleson, who was 15 when his father was killed in the attacks, told DailyMail.com was a ‘positive development’ with the administration.
‘We applaud the Biden administration for dropping the plea deals for Khalid Sheikh Mohammed (KSM) and four other 9/11 plotters,’ he said in a statement to DailyMail.com.
‘We hope that this is a sign of more positive engagement by the administration to bring our community closure and accountability.
‘It’s imperative that we receive full transparency from our government about who played a role in the attacks nearly 22 years ago so the American public can understand the full truth about those responsible, including the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
‘We now need the same information the US Government provided to defense counsel for the GTMO detainees.
‘We look forward to the day that we can praise our government for finally giving us justice and holding all parties involved in the attacks accountable.’
Families have been frustrated with the Biden White House for not releasing evidence that could implicate Saudi Arabia.
He will also be the first president in 22 years not to mark the anniversary at one of the three crash sites.
‘I hope this is a sign of a positive development with the administration to finally bring us accountability and closure,’ Eagleson said.
‘We need the evidence the U.S. government provided to the detainees’ defense lawyers.’
Military prosecutors offered to spare their lives in March 2022 if they admitted their part in the hijackings.
But The New York Times on Wednesday was first to report that Biden has rejected a list of proposed a conditions, including no solitary confinement and the promise they would be treated for torture.
The report states the agreement is still on the table, but Biden’s move makes it increasingly unlikely.
The plea deal would not have simply meant the suspects would have avoided execution, but would have also ended the possibility of a trial, which relatives have been waiting two decades for.