A man has been charged following a series of stabbing across Birmingham on Sunday.
Zephaniah McLeod, 27, has been charged with murder and seven counts of attempted murder following the incidents, West Midlands Police said.
He will appear at the city’s magistrates’ court on Wednesday following knife attacks which resulted in the death of Jacob Billington on Sunday.
The force declared a major incident after Mr Billington was killed and seven other people were stabbed during a rampage in the city centre spanning some 90 minutes.
Two of the victims remain in a critical condition – with one, a 22-year-old woman, now critical but stable
A police statement said: ‘We’ve charged a man with the murder of Jacob Billington (pictured), who was one of eight people stabbed in Birmingham city centre in the early hours of Sunday’
Police had issued CCTV images of a man wanted in connection with a series of stabbings
A police spokesperson said: ‘We’ve charged a man with the murder of Jacob Billington, who was one of eight people stabbed in Birmingham city centre in the early hours of Sunday.
‘Zephaniah McLeod, 27, of Selly Oak, Birmingham, is also accused of the attempted murder of the seven other victims of the knife attacks.
‘McLeod will appear before Birmingham Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday morning.’
The police statement said a post mortem examination concluded that Mr Billington died as a result of a stab wound to the neck.
Jacob, 23, died after being attacked in Irving Street while enjoying a night out with school friends from Liverpool visiting one of their group who is studying in Birmingham.
West Midlands Police arrested a man at a house in Selly Oak, Birmingham in a dramatic dawn raid earlier this week
Forensic officers cross a cordon on Hurst Walk, off Hurst Street, and near to the Arcadia Centre, where part of the attack took place
A 23-year-old man, who was seriously injured in Irving Street, remains in hospital in a critical condition.
A 22-year-old woman, attacked in Hurst Street, remains in a critical but stable condition in hospital.
Another man, aged 30, remains in a serious condition in hospital, while four others have been discharged.
Detective Chief Inspector Jim Munro is leading the investigation. He said: ‘Since these tragic events unfolded in the early hours of Sunday morning we’ve had a team of officers working non-stop on the investigation.
‘Our driving focus is to secure justice for the victims, their family and friends. Our sympathies remain with everyone who’s been impacted by these terrible crimes.
‘Our investigation continues and I would urge any witnesses who’ve not yet spoken to us, or anyone with information they feel could help, to get in touch.’