Bob Dylan accuser drops sexual abuse case over claims she had destroyed evidence
- Woman identified as J.C. said singer abused her in April and May of 1965 in Manhattan
- She said exchange with singer left her ’emotionally scarred and psychologically damaged’
- Dylan’s legal team called suit a ‘brazen shakedown masquerading as a lawsuit’
- Dylan’s accuser asked the court to dismiss the case ‘with prejudice’
A lawsuit accusing Bob Dylan of sexual abuse 57 years ago in New York has been dropped.
The woman who accused Dylan said that he had abused her when she was a child in April and May of 1965 at the Chelsea Hotel in Manhattan, amid claims from the singer’s legal team that she had destroyed evidence in the case, which ‘irretrievably’ impacted the case’s viability.
The woman said in legal docs reviewed by Billboard that she was ’emotionally scarred and psychologically damaged’ following a six-week frame in 1965 in which she said Dylan had been abusive to her.
The latest: A lawsuit accusing Bob Dylan of sexual abuse 57 years ago in New York has been dropped. The singer was snapped in July of 2012 performing in France
Dylan’s legal team said that the suit was a ‘brazen shakedown masquerading as a lawsuit’ and that the lawsuit was ‘false, malicious, reckless and defamatory.’
In a Thursday hearing, Dylan’s accuser, who was identified as J.C., requested the court dismiss the case ‘with prejudice,’ according to court docs.
Dylan’s lawyer Orin Snyder of the Gibson Dunn firm said in a statement to the outlet that ‘this case is over’ and ‘it is outrageous that it was ever brought in the first place.
‘We are pleased that the plaintiff has dropped this lawyer-driven sham and that the case has been dismissed with prejudice.’
The woman who accused Dylan said he had abused her when she was a child in April and May of 1965 at the Chelsea Hotel in Manhattan. He was snapped performing that year in the U.K.
Dylan was seen at his concert in London in July of 2019
In the suit, J.C. said that Dylan ‘exploited’ his place as a celebrity and plied her with drugs and alcohol to ‘sexually molest her.’
The case was filed ahead of the end of a deadline of a year-long window in New York state permitting people to sue past abusers.
A number of historians has pointed out issues with the story alleging abuse against Dylan, noting that he has not been in New York City in the timeframe the allegations pointed to.
Dylan’s accuser’s legal team was warned of potential sanctions by Judge Katherine Polk Failla July 15, after they had not met a deadline to submit to the court emails and text messages considered evidence in the case.
According to Law360, the judge told J.C.’s legal team of Daniel W. Isaacs and Peter J. Gleason, ‘For the love of God, produce these materials. You understand the consequences if you don’t.’
J.C.’s lawyers subsequently told the judge that they had been ‘discharged by the plaintiff as her attorneys,’ which Dylan’s lawyers said was ‘designed to evade court-ordered document production obligations and the threat of sanctions.’
On Wednesday, lawyers for Dylan told the judge in a letter that J.C. had failed to submit to the court ‘dozens of critical emails we know exist,’ and suggested that the evidence was intentionally destroyed, requesting ‘case-ending sanctions and monetary sanctions’ over the alleged breaches.