Chris Wallace jokes about demise of CNN+ in Guy Fieri interview

Chris Wallace jokes about demise of CNN+ by telling Guy Fieri he ‘almost lost’ his show when the ill-fated streaming service collapsed

  • Chris Wallace interviewed Guy Fieri in latest episode of his HBO Max show
  • He joked about the swift demise of CNN+ a month after the service launched
  • Wallace, hired from Fox News, was meant to be a main attraction on CNN+
  • Now his interview show airs in full on HBO Max, with a clips version on CNN  

CNN anchor Chris Wallace joked about his tenure at the short-lived CNN+ in an interview with Guy Fieri, remarking how he almost lost his show when the streaming service shuttered.

Wallace, who was hired from Fox News as a marquee attraction for the ill-fated CNN+, made the remarks in a new episode of his show Who’s Talking To Chris Wallace, which is now released on HBO Max and CNN.

Referring to celebrity chef Fieri’s impressive lineup of multiple shows on the Food Network, Wallace cracked a self-deprecating joke that he only hosted a single show. 

‘This is my one series. This is my one studio. This is my one set. So we need to be very careful with it. Because I almost lost it a few months ago is as we all know, right?’ he said, according to a clip shared by Mediaite

CNN anchor Chris Wallace joked about his tenure at the short-lived CNN+ in an interview with Guy Fieri, remarking how he almost lost his show when the streaming service shuttered

CNN anchor Chris Wallace joked about his tenure at the short-lived CNN+ in an interview with Guy Fieri, remarking how he almost lost his show when the streaming service shuttered

'This is my one set. So we need to be very careful with it. Because I almost lost it a few months ago is as we all know, right?' Wallace told Fieri

‘This is my one set. So we need to be very careful with it. Because I almost lost it a few months ago is as we all know, right?’ Wallace told Fieri

During the interview Wallace also asked Fieri how many shows he’s had altogether, and joked, ‘You don’t have to list them, because it’ll really make me feel bad.’ 

Launched in April, CNN+ only lasted one month before the new bosses at the combined Warner Bros. Discovery pulled the plug amid disappointing subscriber numbers. 

Wallace’s future was for a time uncertain, but last month his show re-launched in an expanded format, with three episodes released on HBO Max every Friday, and highlights from the interviews aired on CNN on Sunday at 7pm.

CNN+ launched just weeks before Discovery closed its merger with CNN parent company Warner Bros, which also owns HBO.

Discovery CEO David Zaslav took over as head of the new combined entity, and reportedly gave the order to shut down the infant CNN+ service, as the company shifted its focus toward bundling content under the HBO Max banner. 

Wallace's new show was slated to air on CNN plus but the streaming service was halted less than month after its launch, a decision under the network's new leadership. Chris Licht (pictured) Chairman and CEO, CNN Worldwide speaks onstage during the Warner Bros. Discovery Upfront 2022 show at The Theater at Madison Square Garden May 18, 2022 in NYC

Wallace’s new show was slated to air on CNN plus but the streaming service was halted less than month after its launch, a decision under the network’s new leadership. Chris Licht (pictured) Chairman and CEO, CNN Worldwide speaks onstage during the Warner Bros. Discovery Upfront 2022 show at The Theater at Madison Square Garden May 18, 2022 in NYC

Chris Wallace attends the CNN+ Launch Event at PEAK NYC Hudson Yards on March 28, 2022 in New York City.

Chris Wallace attends the CNN+ Launch Event at PEAK NYC Hudson Yards on March 28, 2022 in New York City.

In a September interview with USA Today, Wallace spoke out about his rough start at the new network, calling it a ‘bumpy road’. 

‘I spent three months getting ready for [CNN+], and it’s an interesting thing in the business: I had one set of very smart people saying this was the future of news on television, and then a bunch of other very smart people came in and said, ‘No,'” the veteran news anchor said. 

‘What I’m mostly excited about, though, is that the program survived and frankly is on a bigger and better platform than ever,’ he added.

‘So it’s going to get a lot more viewership than the old plan was. It was a bumpy road to get here, but I’m glad we did,’ said Wallace.

After spending $300 million, CNN+ was shutdown and 300 employees were fired within weeks of launching

After spending $300 million, CNN+ was shutdown and 300 employees were fired within weeks of launching

The legendary broadcaster, whose father was the late Mike Wallace of 60 Minutes, had been the host of Fox News Sunday for decades. 

His new weekday talk show revolves around interviews with celebrities, and those in sports, entertainment, arts and culture field, and goes beyond politics, what Wallace has been known for. 

Meanwhile, Fox News tapped Shannon Bream as the new anchor for Fox News Sunday, making her the first woman to lead the program in its 26-year history. 

Source

Related posts