Closed door hearing to be held in case of Brittany Higgins’ accused rapist, Bruce Lehrmann

Closed door hearing to be held in case of Brittany Higgins’ accused rapist

  • Closed-door hearing will be held about an application in Bruce Lehrman’s trial  
  • Trial was aborted last month because a juror brought banned papers into court
  • Brittany Higgins alleges Lehrmann raped her in 2019. He pleaded not guilty 

Brittany Higgins is pictured outside ACT Supreme Court

Brittany Higgins is pictured outside ACT Supreme Court

A hearing will be held behind closed doors concerning an application in the trial of Brittany Higgins’ accused rapist.

The trial of Bruce Lehrmann was aborted after three-and-a-half weeks in the ACT Supreme Court last month, when a juror brought research material into the jury room during deliberations.

Lehrmann had pleaded not guilty to sexually assaulting Ms Higgins in Canberra’s Parliament House in 2019. His trial was rescheduled for February next year.

However, the associate to Chief Justice Lucy McCallum said on Thursday that an application has been submitted about the case.

There will be a hearing about the application on December 2.

Journalists are banned from entering the court during the hearing, and from reporting the contents of the application.

Bruce Lehrmann is pictured outside court with his legal team during the initial trial in October

Bruce Lehrmann is pictured outside court with his legal team during the initial trial in October

Jurors were dismissed when a court sheriff accidentally noticed academic research papers in one of the juror’s folders during routine cleaning.

After the trial was rescheduled, it was revealed sheriffs found two further academic articles belonged to the same juror.

The juror, who was explicitly told not to conduct independent research, was not punished for their actions. 

Source

Related posts