Dad crashes his $250,000 Ford GT40 while showing off to his daughter’s new boyfriend

Sponsored Video
Spread the love
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •   
  •  
  •  

A dad has crashed his $250,000 replica Ford GT40 while attempting to impress his 16-year-old daughter’s boyfriend.

Andrew John Earl, 48, pleaded guilty to dangerous driving at Dunedin District Court, in New Zealand, on Tuesday.

Earl, a plasterer by trade, had picked the teenager up in his Porsche 911 on June 1 and taken him to see his sports car collection, and decided to take the replica Ford GT40 out for a spin, the Otago Daily Times reported.

Andrew John Earl, 48, pleaded guilty to dangerous driving at Dunedin District Court, in New Zealand, on Tuesday after smashing his $250,000 replica Ford GT40 (pictured)

Andrew John Earl, 48, pleaded guilty to dangerous driving at Dunedin District Court, in New Zealand, on Tuesday after smashing his $250,000 replica Ford GT40 (pictured)

The father-of-four had been revving the engine loudly and speeding through gaps in traffic.

He accelerated hard and swerved into the left lane to overtake a ute on the inside lane when he lost traction and lost control of the car.  

The car hit the median-strip barrier, which ripped one of the sports car’s front doors off and inflicted an estimated $30,000 of damage on the uninsured vehicle.  

Judge Dominic Dravitzki said the crash could have been much worse – like the 2011 incident near Oamaru when a drowsy or sleeping Earl allowed his car to drift into oncoming traffic, hitting a car head-on and killing its driver, an 83-year-old local financier.

He was attempting to show off to his teenage daughter's boyfriend when he lost control of the car and slammed into a ute, the court (Dunedin Court pictured) heard

He was attempting to show off to his teenage daughter’s boyfriend when he lost control of the car and slammed into a ute, the court (Dunedin Court pictured) heard

He was found guilty on that charge, fined $2,500 and lost his licence for a year – a sentence he unsuccessfully appealed. 

For this latest crash, he was banned from driving for eight months and fined $1,500.

‘It was most definitely not my proudest moment,’ he told the Otago Daily Times.

‘I’m just so pleased no-one was hurt. It could’ve been far worse.’

Source


Spread the love
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •   
  •  
  •  

Related posts

Leave a Comment