Deborah Knight has reportedly been sacked from 2GB radio after four years following a massive decline in her ratings.
The broadcaster, 50, was ‘shattered’ by the news which she allegedly received last week, reported The Sunday Telegraph.
Her contract was rumoured to be a shocking $600,000 when she began with the afternoon radio show in 2020 after being sacked from the Today breakfast show.
But despite debuting at a stellar 11.4 per cent share results in the ratings, she has since dropped to a record-low 6 per cent market share in the most recent survey.
While it’s unclear if the TV newsreader will be reabsorbed back into Nine television, contenders have reportedly already lined up for her position at 2GB.
Joe Hildebrand, who recently filled in for Deb, is considered a ‘favourite’, though fellow 2GB presenter Mark Levy may also be a contender for the role.
Daily Mail Australia has reached out to Nine Network for comment.
Deb took over the coveted afternoon time slot on 2GB and 4BC in 2020 after Steve Price was ousted from his radio gig after almost a decade on air.
At the time, she said she had the ‘best of both worlds’ as she was continuing to work as a television newsreader for Nine and fill-in for absences on Today.
Just months earlier, she and co-host Georgie Gardner had been sacked as the anchors of Today following consistently low ratings.
Deb was a regular guest with Steve, 68, for months before she took over his radio position, which commenced on January 13, 2020.
Before the news was confirmed, Steve spoke out on the rumours Deb would be taking the reigns, telling The Daily Telegraph at the time that she is ‘competent.’
He added it wasn’t his decision to leave the network but the new owners, Nine Entertainment, ‘have decided to go in a new direction.’
‘We just couldn’t agree to what I was going to do next year,’ he told the publication.
Steve went on to say he had a ‘ big profile’ and may pop up on television more as a result.