- Photographers caught Meghan, 42, behind the wheel of a black Range Rover
- She was seen driving near her home in Montecito for the first time in three years
- The spotting comes as Prince Harry, 38, paid tribute to his grandma at an event
Meghan Markle has been seen driving her car for the first time since January 2020 as she headed out in California – while her husband, Prince Harry, made a solo trip to the UK, where he paid his respects to the Queen on the anniversary of her death before jetting off to Germany.
In images shared exclusively with DailyMail.com, the Duchess of Sussex, 42, is pictured behind the wheel of a black $140,000 Range Rover on Thursday afternoon, just as her husband was touching down in London for the first time in months in order to attend an awards gala.
The mother-of-two donned a dark pair of shades as she drove near her and Harry’s $14.65 million home in Montecito and just a few miles from the $18 million Malibu property that she and her husband are reported to have been eyeing up recently.
The last time Meghan was pictured in the driver’s seat was more than three years ago – when she drove to Victoria International Airport in Canada to pick up a friend on January 17, 2020 – right around the time that she and Harry announced they were ‘stepping back’ from their royal duties.
Since then, she’s only been seen traveling via private chauffeurs and personal drivers.
The recent outing came just after Harry, 38, touched down in his home country to honor his late grandmother – which marks his first time back to England since June.
He attended an annual charity event called the WellChild Awards, where he gave a touching speech about Queen Elizabeth II on Thursday – the eve of the one-year anniversary of her passing.
He told the crowd that she was ‘looking down on them all’ and was ‘happy they were together.’
‘As you know, I was unable to attend the awards last year as my grandmother passed away,’ he said, referencing how he pulled out of last year’s ceremony following news that the queen was seriously ill, and travelled to Balmoral – separately from the rest of the royal family – to attend her deathbed.
‘As you also probably know, she would have been the first person to insist that I still come to be with you all instead of going to her.
‘And that’s precisely why I know, exactly one year on, she is looking down on all of us tonight, happy we’re together continuing to spotlight such an incredible community.’
On Friday, the Duke of Sussex was spotted leaving St. George’s Chapel – where the Queen was laid to rest last year.
Hours later, photographers captured him arriving in Germany for the Invictus Games, which will take place this weekend – leaving the UK without having seen his father or brother.
Harry – who founded the Paralympic-style competition for injured military personnel and veterans – is set to attend a reception at Düsseldorf town hall on Saturday, and will open the Games later that evening.
It was first believed that Meghan would be attending the event alongside her husband, as the original schedule stated that she would ‘take to the stage’ during the closing ceremony to ‘host the intimate and moving glimpse into the extraordinary journeys of the Invictus Games competitors.’
But her name mysteriously disappeared from the website earlier this week, and was replaced by presenter Hadnet Tesfai’s.
A source told DailyMail.com that the first schedule was uploaded in error. It’s now unclear if she will attend the event.
Last year, Meghan supported Harry at the Invictus Games, and she even introduced him on stage.
Just before Harry jetted off to England, he and Meghan, who share son Archie, four, and daughter Lilibet, two, enjoyed a date night when they attended music sensation Beyoncé’s concert in Los Angeles on Friday night – where they danced the night away.
Meghan also went to another one of the singer’s sold out shows in LA on Monday – this time without her other half – where she partied with the likes of Katy Perry, the Kardashians, Lizzo, Tyler Perry, Jeff Bezos, Chris Rock, Adele, Justin and Hailey Bieber, and a host of other stars.
She was also seen mingling with Netflix’s CEO Ted Sarandos, and his wife, Nicole Avant.
The couple famously signed a $100 million deal with Netflix in 2020. They went on to release a six-part docuseries with the streaming giant in late 2022.
Harry then launched a documentary about the Invictus Games in earlier this year, but it was branded as a flop after failing to make the top 10 list in the UK and America.
Former actress Meghan’s legal drama Suits – which originally propelled her into stardom – was added to the platform over the summer, and it received a whopping 3.14 billion minutes of viewing time in one week.