Facebook set to add official music videos from artists to take on YouTube 

Sponsored Video

Facebook has challenged YouTube by adding licensed music videos to its social media platform.

The Mark Zuckerberg-owned firm recently partnered with a number of major music companies for the new feature, including Sony Music, Universal Music and Warner Music Group.

The clips will be added to Facebook Watch, as well as the artists’ pages, allowing users to share, comment and react to – just like any other video on the site.

Sponsored Video

However, the move would allow Facebook to push even more video advertisements on its platform.

Facebook has challenged YouTube by adding licensed music videos to its social media platform. The clips will be added to Facebook Watch, as well as the artists¿ pages, allowing users to share, comment and react to

Facebook has challenged YouTube by adding licensed music videos to its social media platform. The clips will be added to Facebook Watch, as well as the artists’ pages, allowing users to share, comment and react to

Facebook is known for being a social media copycat – it took a page from Snapchat with its Stories and also attempted to replicate TikTok with its failed Lasso.

Now it seems the social media giant has its sights set on YouTube.

TechCrunch previously reported this month that Facebook was gearing up to rollout licensed music videos in the US, which is set for August 1.

The launch includes videos from artists including Bob Marely, Elton John, the Jonas Brothers and Nicki Minaj – and the licensing deals are similar to that of YouTube.

Facebook is known for being a social media copycat ¿ it took a page from Snapchat with its Stories and also attempted to replicate TikTok with its failed Lasso.

Facebook is known for being a social media copycat – it took a page from Snapchat with its Stories and also attempted to replicate TikTok with its failed Lasso.

Facebook also plans to offer exclusive video content and first looks with the new feature.

Although the social media giant has had success cloning other platforms, it failed at an attempt to rollout its version of TikTok.

Earlier this month, the firm revealed it had plans to shut down Lasso, after the year-and-a-half-old app failed to take off with young users.

Lasso, which enables account-holders to post 15-second videos, was billed as the social media giant’s answer to its China-based competitor.

But it was bogged down by problems early on, with its developer Brady Voss quitting Facebook just six days after its launch.

It was only ever rolled out in the US and across South America, with suspected plans for a Europe and India release placed on hold.

Facebook confirmed its plan to close the app to MailOnline. A spokesman said: ‘We place multiple bets across our family of apps to test and learn how people want to express themselves.

Facebook also plans to offer exclusive video content and first looks with the new feature

Facebook also plans to offer exclusive video content and first looks with the new feature

‘One of these tests was Lasso, our stand-alone short-form video app, which we have decided to shut down and remove from all app stores on July 10.

‘We thanks everyone who shared their creativity and feedback with us, which we’ll look to incorporate in our other video experiences.’

Facebook may have failed with its TikTok clone, but the original platform is currently in hot water after being deemed a threat to national security.

President Donald Trump has been wrestling with the decision to ban the Chinese-owned app in the US.

‘We are looking at TikTok. We may be banning TikTok,’ Trump told reporters at the White House Friday.

‘We are looking at a lot of alternatives with respect to TikTok.’

Source

Spread the love
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Related posts

Leave a Comment