Modern Warfare 2: just the mention of the name will send a blast of memories to any long-time Call of Duty fan. The scenes of quickscoping, trickshotting, content creation and even competitive CoD all have their earliest roots planted in this hit title.
Since the release of Modern Warfare Remastered alongside Infinite Warfare in 2016, fans have been requesting the same treatment for Modern Warfare 2. In 2020, we would get just that, however it would be campaign mode only – no multiplayer or special ops.
Activision later revealed in a blog post that the decision to not include Multiplayer was made to not separate the player base. In a statement, the company said, “rather than release a separate, multiplayer experience as a standalone pack, Activision and Infinity Ward are looking to bring more classic map experiences to new life within the Modern Warfare universe as it continues to grow and build over time.“
With this harsh reality, some fans would give up hope on ever seeing a remastered MW2 multiplayer – but the modding community took this as an opportunity to create their very own experience. That’s where the Modern Warfare 2 Multiplayer Remastered project comes in.
According to the development discords Q&A, the Mod will be a remaster of MW2’s multiplayer running in Black Ops 3 on PC. It will not be available for consoles. According to the project lead Gunoftruth, they plan on releasing 9 maps at launch – a large task for the 9 man mod team. At this point, they have made screenshots available for some of the weapons and 2 maps they have remastered, Terminal & Rust. Screenshots available in the gallery below.
As for gameplay elements, here’s a Q&A from their community Discord detailing their plans for gameplay balancing and features.
- Q: Will One Many Army be patched?
- A: Yes. Replenishing explosives is an abusive exploit that was an oversight in the original. Whatever equipment and alt-weapon ammo is used will not be replenished.
- Q: Will Danger Close be nerfed?
- A: No. Without an exploitable OMA (One Man Army) perk to go with it, it’ll likely become less useful like Sonic Boom from COD4.
- Q: Will grenade launcher attachments be nerfed?
- A: Probably not. If they were, they’d use MW3’s damage profile.
- Q: Will the masterkey attachment be buffed?
- A: Probably not.
- Q: Will the Model 1887 be pre-patch?
- Q: Will any primary or secondary weapons be rebalanced?
- Q: Are Deathstreaks returning?
- A: Sadly, yes. They won’t be in earlier builds like the Alpha though.
- Q: Will sniper scopes be 2D overlays like the original or 3D like MWR\MW2CR?
- A: They’ll be 3D like MWR\MW2CR.
- Q: Will you be able to inspect weapons?
- A: Short answer, yes. Long answer, yes.
- Q: Does the mod have controller support and aim assist?
- A: Controller support will be the same as Black Ops 3’s built-in support for both Xbox and PS4 controllers. There is aim assist.
Regarding being able to play, or even see gameplay in action, that’ll be reserved for the lucky few who get selected to participate in the upcoming beta. Sadly, sign ups for that are closed, but you can see a live gameplay walkthrough of the Rust map in a video released by the MW2R MP team below.
To find out more regarding the mod (status of weapons and project developments), you can join the fan created Modern Warfare 2 Multiplayer Remastered Discord server and read up on all of the progress made so far. As for the 8 man mod team, here’s proper credit for all members.
The mod is slated to release in 2021, with a beta test coming soon.