Final Facebook posts from man who died two days before his Pfizer vaccine Australia Covid Melbourne

A call centre worker who died from Covid despite having no underlying health conditions made a series of distressing Facebook posts in the weeks leading to his death.

Martin Blight, 46, contracted the virus last week after his Melbourne office became a Tier 1 exposure site during the city’s lockdown.

The father confirmed his diagnosis on social media, warning friends: ‘Covid sux guys look after yourselves plz. Do whatever you can to self distance, that’s one thing I would say that works’.

Mr Blight died on Monday, two days before he was booked in to get his Pfizer vaccine, but Facebook posts in the lead-up to his death show he had reservations about getting jabbed.

‘I’ve booked in for my Pfizer jab in September… now people who are fully vaccinated in the US are dying,’ he wrote last month.

Victoria recorded 423 new coronavirus cases on Wednesday, bringing the total number of active cases in the state to 4,038. 

Martin Blight (pictured), a 46-year-old call centre worker from Melbourne, contracted the virus last week after his office became a Tier 1 exposure site. He died in hosipital on Monday

Martin Blight (pictured), a 46-year-old call centre worker from Melbourne, contracted the virus last week after his office became a Tier 1 exposure site. He died in hosipital on Monday

The father confirmed his diagnosis on social media, warning friends: 'Covid sux guys look after yourselves plz'

The father confirmed his diagnosis on social media, warning friends: ‘Covid sux guys look after yourselves plz’

‘Also with the new Delta variant you can catch it and pass it on. All being said you can also get blood clots and other side affects.

‘Now is it worth getting and secondly is the government happy with the current vaccine or are they trying to improve it?’

Friends reassured Mr Blight the vaccine was safe and the risks of the jab were significantly outweighed by the reality of the virus. 

‘People get the flu vaccine but still get the flu. Vaccines don’t stop you getting a virus, they help the body to recognise the virus and fight against it,’ one person replied.

‘I’ve had mine since March, even with it you can still get the virus but you have more chance of not getting it so bad,’ another mate commented.

A man told Mr Blight to ‘do what you feel is right for you my friend’, to which Mr Blight replied: ‘That’s the problem I’m not sure what to do’.

He eventually commented on his post thanking his friends for the support, saying: ‘It’s nice to know you all care’.

Victoria's health department has not officially confirmed the death of 46-year-old Martin Blight, which was announced online by the Australian Services Union

Victoria’s health department has not officially confirmed the death of 46-year-old Martin Blight, which was announced online by the Australian Services Union

A man told Mr Blight to 'do what you feel is right for you my friend', to which Mr Blight replied: 'That's the problem I'm not sure what to do'

A man told Mr Blight to ‘do what you feel is right for you my friend’, to which Mr Blight replied: ‘That’s the problem I’m not sure what to do’

The Australian Services Union confirmed Mr Blight’s death in a statement, describing him as a ‘committed member, father and friend to many’. 

‘Marty became unwell with coronavirus after his workplace was identified as a Tier 1 site and he was subsequently identified as a close contact,’ the union said.

‘The union has been speaking with Marty’s family directly and both the ASU and Marty’s family would like to take this opportunity to encourage everyone to get vaccinated as soon as possible so that no one else has to go through the trauma of losing someone to Covid-19.’

Premier Dan Andrews was asked by reporters about Mr Blight’s death during his daily Covid press conference on Wednesday and if the state had ‘failed’ him as he had been waiting for his vaccine for five weeks.

‘He’s 46 years’ old, he was not someone who had a long list of comorbidities and all sorts of complex conditions. He was an otherwise healthy person,’ he replied.

Mr Blight made a series of Facebook posts about his condition in the lead-up to his death on Monday, warning friends to 'look after yourselves'

Mr Blight made a series of Facebook posts about his condition in the lead-up to his death on Monday, warning friends to ‘look after yourselves’

Mr Andrews then took a shot at opposition leader Matthew Guy, who embarrassingly released a statement this morning calling for the immediate end of lockdown, only to backtrack and say he meant to say curfews.

‘If we opened up tonight as some are urging us to do, with less than 50 per cent of people double-vaxxed, then there will be hundreds and hundreds of stories just like his,’ the premier said of Mr Blight.

‘Hundreds of tragedies just like his. Otherwise healthy people who are not vaccinated yet, they might have an appointment, they’re not vaccinated yet. 

‘They’re simply not through one dose let alone two. I don’t think the chief health officer would ever provide me with advice to do that. But I wouldn’t do it even if he did.’ 

Mr Guy released a statement hours after the blunder, saying he was calling for an end to the 9pm-5am curfew rather than lockdowns altogether.

‘I apologise if that’s incorrect, it should certainly be the curfew,’ Mr Guy said. 

'He's 46 years' old, he was not someone who had a long list of comorbidities and all sorts of complex conditions. He was an otherwise healthy person,' Dan Andrews said of Mr Blight

‘He’s 46 years’ old, he was not someone who had a long list of comorbidities and all sorts of complex conditions. He was an otherwise healthy person,’ Dan Andrews said of Mr Blight

Mr Blight had been working for Serco, a multinational outsourcing company which provides a call centre for Centrelink and Services Australia, helping millions of unemployed Australians through the pandemic.

Serco suspended all staff with no pay in July last year after an outbreak in the building, leaving hundreds of workers in the lurch after helping Australians through the coronavirus crisis. 

‘The stoppage of work means that you are now stood down from work in accordance with section 524 of the Fair Work Act 2009,’ Serco’s contract manager June Meldrum said in a letter to employees last year.

‘You will receive your ordinary pay in accordance with any confirmed shifts for today. For full time or part time staff, unpaid stand down will commence from Thursday 23 July 2020 onward.’

The company said last year that despite standing down its employees without pay, they were still ‘valued’ but conceded they may have to look for other work.

‘I confirm that while you are stood down, you remain a valued employee of Serco,’ the outsourcing giant said. 

‘However, we of course understand that you may need to make other arrangements during this period.’    

Source

Related posts