Fury of royal staff who face the axe after working up to 20 hours a day on Queen’s funeral 

Fury of royal staff who face the axe after working up to 20 hours a day on Queen’s funeral

  • 100 Clarence House staff told of job losses as the King Charles and Queen Consort move to Buckingham Palace from Clarence House
  • Official consultation period on job losses began yesterday as staff mourn Queen
  • Staff were expected to work up to 20-hour days organising the State Funeral
  • Royal households stressed that they were bound by legal process
  • The Queen’s funeral: All the latest Royal Family news and coverage

Royal staff are up in arms over being forced to work ‘around the clock’ to deliver the late Queen’s funeral while facing the threat of redundancy.

Last week it emerged that up to 100 Clarence House staff were told there would be job losses as the offices of King Charles and the Queen Consort move to Buckingham Palace from Clarence House.

Adding to their shock, they were informed in a letter sent during the thanksgiving service for the Queen at St Giles’ Cathedral in Edinburgh on Monday last week.

An official consultation period on the job losses began yesterday. The same has occurred at Buckingham Palace, where staff are still struggling to come to terms with the loss of their former boss.

Last week it emerged that up to 100 Clarence House staff (pictured above) were told there would be job losses as the offices of King Charles and the Queen Consort move to Buckingham Palace

Last week it emerged that up to 100 Clarence House staff (pictured above) were told there would be job losses as the offices of King Charles and the Queen Consort move to Buckingham Palace

Staff were informed of job losses in a letter sent during the thanksgiving service for the Queen at St Giles’ Cathedral in Edinburgh on Monday last week

Staff were informed of job losses in a letter sent during the thanksgiving service for the Queen at St Giles’ Cathedral in Edinburgh on Monday last week

Sources told the Daily Mail of staff anger and upset at being given the news while being expected to work up to 20-hour days organising Monday’s State Funeral, as well as all of the events leading up to it.

‘Everyone knew this was on the cards after Her Majesty died but the fact that the letters were sent out just days after her death and during the official period of mourning was a real shock,’ said one. ‘There was no attempt to break the news personally to staff, some of whom have served the Royal Family loyally for decades, at a time when they were under huge emotional and mental pressure coping with the sudden loss of Her Majesty, delivering her funeral and ensuring a smooth change in reign.

Royal staff are up in arms over being forced to work ‘around the clock’ to deliver the late Queen’s funeral while facing the threat of redundancy

Royal staff are up in arms over being forced to work ‘around the clock’ to deliver the late Queen’s funeral while facing the threat of redundancy

Sources told the Daily Mail of staff anger and upset at being given the news while being expected to work up to 20-hour days organising Monday’s State Funeral

Sources told the Daily Mail of staff anger and upset at being given the news while being expected to work up to 20-hour days organising Monday’s State Funeral

‘People work for the royal households out of love and loyalty, often for fairly modest wages. Staff are under huge strain.’ Palace sources acknowledged yesterday that it was a ‘painful’ time for staff and that the process could appear ‘brutal’ at times, but stressed that they were bound by legal process.

They said that it had been made ‘explicitly clear’, particularly at Clarence House, that ‘as many roles will be found for as many people as possible’.

Palace sources acknowledged yesterday that it was a ‘painful’ time for staff and that the process could appear ‘brutal’ at times, but stressed that they were bound by legal process

Palace sources acknowledged yesterday that it was a ‘painful’ time for staff and that the process could appear ‘brutal’ at times, but stressed that they were bound by legal process

Among those staying on is Sir Clive Alderton, the former Prince of Wales’ top official, who will become the Principal Private Secretary to the King and Queen Consort.

He will be supported by the Queen’s outgoing right-hand man, Sir Edward Young, who will remain joint Principal Private Secretary to the King for the next few months.

Source

Related posts