Girl with cerebral palsy rushed to hospital after being scalded by tea at Buckingham Palace 

Girl, nine, with cerebral palsy is rushed to hospital with burns after being scalded by tea at Buckingham Palace cafe

  • Georgie Gibbs, nine, with cerebral palsy suffered second degree burns to legs
  • Tea spilled onto her in a cafe after touring the state rooms at Buckingham Palace
  • Mum Clare, 48, paid £142 to visit on Saturday as a treat before Georgie’s surgery
  • Clare described the accident saying Georgie started to ‘scream and scream’

A nine-year-old girl with cerebral palsy was rushed to hospital with serious burns after being scalded with hot tea at Buckingham Palace.

Georgie Gibbs and her family had toured the state rooms and met the Queen‘s horses when they stopped for a snack in the royal garden café on Saturday afternoon.

Moments after sitting down at a table in the packed café, a full cup of scalding hot tea tipped over Georgie.

Georgie’s mum Clare, 48, said: ‘We sat down with our collection of cakes and drinks, suddenly Georgie started to scream and scream.

Georgie Gibbs suffered second degree burns after scalding tea spilled down her legs and into the splint she was wearing

Georgie Gibbs suffered second degree burns after scalding tea spilled down her legs and into the splint she was wearing

Her mother Clare, 48, had organised the trip to Buckingham Palace with the family as a treat for Georgie, who had always wanted to visit, before she had to undergo surgery

Her mother Clare, 48, had organised the trip to Buckingham Palace with the family as a treat for Georgie, who had always wanted to visit, before she had to undergo surgery

‘It all happened so quickly and somehow the scalding hot tea had spilt onto her leg and was running down into the splint that she wears.

‘The café was packed and we were at a small circular table at the front near where everyone was ordering.

‘I can only assume that somehow Georgie’s wheelchair got budged and it knocked the table and caused the cup of tea to fall on her.

‘The screams were horrific to hear and the whole cafe of tourists stopped in silence.

‘We took the splints off as quickly as possible and I called immediately for iced water to put over her legs, suddenly all the customers started pouring their cold drinks onto her legs to cool the burns while waiting for more cold water.’

Managers of the royal café called an ambulance and Georgie was rushed on blue lights to St Thomas’ Hospital where she was given morphine to ease the pain.

Georgie is currently on the waiting list to undergo surgery to have her hip sockets straightened to help her walk and had always wanted to visit Buckingham Palace.

Clare paid £142 to take history-loving Georgie for a tour of the palace and gardens along with her daughter Ella, 11, and partner Bruce Martin, 54.

The visited the palace on Saturday, toured the state rooms and then met the Queen's horses

The visited the palace on Saturday, toured the state rooms and then met the Queen’s horses

Georgie's legs immediately started to blister and the ambulance crew gave her some morphine

Georgie’s legs immediately started to blister and the ambulance crew gave her some morphine

She in on the waiting list to undergo surgery to straighten her hip sockets to help her to walk

She in on the waiting list to undergo surgery to straighten her hip sockets to help her to walk

Clare, from Worcester, said: ‘Georgie is a Royal fanatic and loves the Queen so we took her to Buckingham Palace as a treat.

‘She is having more surgery soon so we wanted to do something fun before the hard work begins because her rehabilitation is going to take some time.’

Clare is now warning parents of the dangers of having hot drinks around children and the importance of acting quickly in the event of an accident.

She added: ‘We were all in shock and had no time to think about what was actually happening.

‘The staff of the cafe came quickly with crate after crate of canned iced cold water which is vital when there is a burn.

The accident happened in the royal café and the staff acted quickly bringing crates of canned iced cold water for the burns

The accident happened in the royal café and the staff acted quickly bringing crates of canned iced cold water for the burns

The ambulance drove out of the front gates of Buckingham Palace escorted by palace officials in order to get Georgie to St Thomas hospital quickly

The ambulance drove out of the front gates of Buckingham Palace escorted by palace officials in order to get Georgie to St Thomas hospital quickly

‘Management arrived quickly and efficiently and called the ambulance as Georgie was in pain and shock, we could see the legs were starting to blister.

‘The management were amazing, keeping me informed of all their actions and reassuring me that help was on its way.

‘The ambulance crew immediately gave Georgie some morphine and administered a special burns dressing to her legs.

‘They advised they needed to get her to hospital quickly so we would be leaving from the back gardens of the palace, round the side and out through the front gates and would be escorted by palace officials.

‘We left very hurried, all four of us into the ambulance and onto St Thomas hospital.’

Georgie suffered second degree burns to her legs but the next day she and her family were invited back to the palace were they were ‘treated like royalty’.

The family was invited back to the palace the following day, gifting Georgie a cuddly corgi toy

The family was invited back to the palace the following day, gifting Georgie a cuddly corgi toy

Mum Clare said she is now warning the importance of having hot drinks around children

Mum Clare said she is now warning the importance of having hot drinks around children 

Clare, a former HR manager, said: ‘We had to be at the palace gates for 1.30pm and we were told to drive into the front of the palace.

‘We were all very excited about this as it felt really special and something good that came out of a bad experience.

‘We were escorted by palace management back to the garden cafe were we had afternoon tea but with cold drinks this time.

‘The staff gave Georgie and Ella a Jubilee teddy bear and a corgi dog cuddly toy. We were all treated like royalty.’

A Royal Collection Trust spokesperson said: ‘The safety of our visitors is a top priority and we aim to train our staff to react quickly when first aid incidents occur.

‘We are pleased that Georgie is doing well and wish her a full and speedy recovery.’

Source

Related posts