‘He was just taken away’: Toddler killed when dozens of bullets fired at Charlotte home – WSOC Charlotte

CHARLOTTE — A young child was killed after people in several cars opened fire on a home in northwest Charlotte late Tuesday, according to Charlotte-Mecklenburg police.

At around 11:45 p.m., officers responded to multiple 911 calls about a shooting along Richard Rozzelle Drive, off Rozzelles Ferry Road near Mountain Island Lake. When police got to the scene, they found a child younger than 5 who had been shot.

That child was rushed to the hospital but did not survive. The exact age and gender of the child has not yet been released but family members told Channel 9 reporter Anthony Kustura that 3-year-old Asiah Fiquero was the victim.

(WATCH BELOW: Reporter Anthony Kustura’s LIVE update from the scene early Wednesday)

The boy’s great grandmother, Susie Whitley, shared photos of Asiah, and said she doesn’t know why this happened. She said Asiah was sleeping when he was shot.

“I don’t know why this happened — I don’t know what’s going on,” Whitley said. “I’m gonna miss my grandson, my great grandson, so much. He was only three. He was just taken away.”

Relatives told Channel 9 that Asiah had an older sister and that the two were very close.

Channel 9 spoke with police, and their frustration and disappointment was clear.

“As you can imagine, this is an extremely challenging time, not only for the friends and family involved, but for the neighbors and the officers who are currently working this case,” said CMPD Major Ryan Butler. “I can’t emphasize enough the gravity of this situation and I know that we have, unfortunately, spoken several times over the last week.”

According to detectives, several vehicles targeted the home, unleashing more than 80 rounds toward the house.

Officers worked throughout the night canvassing the neighborhood and said other houses as well as vehicles were hit by gunfire. A bullet grazed another family member inside the home but Channel 9 was told that person would be OK.

Channel 9 crews could see crime scene tape up around the house, which had several windows shattered.

Channel 9 was also able to obtain home security video from a house across the street that appeared to capture two vehicles pull up in front of the house before several suspects get out and open fire.

“This is a situation where we have a very young, innocent child who has been taken from the community due to the actions of some individuals who clearly have demonstrated complete disregard for the welfare of their fellow human being,” Butler told Channel 9 at the scene. “This is so far short of what we as a community here in Charlotte are capable of.”

A child was killed after people in several cars opened fire on a home in northwest Charlotte late Tuesday, Sept. 7, 2021.

No suspect or vehicle descriptions have been released and the investigation is active and ongoing.

Anyone with information about the shooting should call 704-432-TIPS and speak directly to a Homicide Unit detective. You can also leave information anonymously by calling Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600.

Check back with wsoctv.com for updates on this story.

(WATCH BELOW: Drive-by shootings leave one child dead, two others injured in Statesville)

Source

Related posts