Irish woman ‘will be quizzed in Spain over claims she was assaulted on Conor McGregor’s yacht

Irish woman ‘will be quizzed in Spanish court over claims she was assaulted on Conor McGregor’s yacht during his 34th birthday celebrations in Ibiza’

  • Irish media revealed last August the woman reported assault to Dublin police
  • UFC fighter himself could also be summoned for questioning in the Ibiza court 

An Irish women is set to be questioned in a Spanish court over claims she was assaulted on Conor McGregor‘s holiday yacht during his 34th birthday celebrations, according to local reports.

The UFC fighter himself may be summoned for questioning at the Ibiza court after an investigating judge has taken a statement from the complainant and possible witnesses, local press in Ibiza are reporting.

Irish media revealed last August the woman walked into a Garda station in the Dublin suburb of Crumlin to claim she was assaulted during a party on McGregor’s triple-deck super yacht last July when he held a celebration for his 34th birthday.

She was described at the time as being in her twenties although island paper Periodico de Ibiza described the complainant in a report overnight as 42.

An Irish women is set to be questioned in a Spanish court over claims she was assaulted on Conor McGregor's holiday yacht during his 34th birthday celebrations in July 2022, according to local reports. Pictured: Mr McGregor is seen on his yacht in Ibiza in July last year

An Irish women is set to be questioned in a Spanish court over claims she was assaulted on Conor McGregor’s holiday yacht during his 34th birthday celebrations in July 2022, according to local reports. Pictured: Mr McGregor is seen on his yacht in Ibiza in July last year

At the time of the alleged incident Spanish police claimed there had been a language misunderstanding, saying one of the first people to go to her aid after she was brought ashore had heard her say she’d come from McGregor’s yacht and wrongly thought she was alleging she’d been assaulted.

The Civil Guard also insisted after the initial reports in the Spanish press last summer that no active investigation was underway because she had told them she had fallen from the yacht into the water off the island of Formentera near Ibiza and did not want to press any charges.

Periodico de Ibiza reported overnight the case had been provisionally shelved last summer because the woman had not presented a formal written complaint to cops in Formentera. It said it was now being reopened in light of her statement to Gardai.

Former UFC champ McGregor was joined for his birthday celebrations last July by a group of friends. He treated guests to cocktails made using his Proper 12 whiskey, while a huge cake with his name on it was also displayed.

His two yachts hosted the celebrations – a 3.5 million euro Lamborghini Tecnomar 63 which he has claimed in the past he uses to ‘rally on’, and a triple-deck 150-ft Prestige 750 which boasts an inflatable water slide and a climbing wall which he says he uses to ‘live life on.’

The woman who has reportedly sparked the investigation has been described in Ibiza press reports as someone who knew McGregor before he was famous because they grew up in the same neighbourhood.

She is understood to have received an invite to a party on board McGregor’s yacht after meeting him at a beach club earlier the same night where she had gone with a Hungarian couple.

According to the latest reports the unnamed couple may also now be questioned about the alleged July 17 incident. 

MailOnline has contacted McGregor’s representatives for comment.

The UFC fighter himself may be summoned for questioning at the Ibiza court after an investigating judge has taken a statement from the complainant and possible witnesses, local press in Ibiza are reporting. Pictured: McGregor is seen leaving Blanchardstown District Court in Dublin, where he was charged with driving offences, in November 2022

The UFC fighter himself may be summoned for questioning at the Ibiza court after an investigating judge has taken a statement from the complainant and possible witnesses, local press in Ibiza are reporting. Pictured: McGregor is seen leaving Blanchardstown District Court in Dublin, where he was charged with driving offences, in November 2022

Irish media revealed last August the woman walked into a Garda station in the Dublin suburb of Crumlin to claim she was assaulted during a party on McGregor's triple-deck super yacht last July when he held a celebration for his 34th birthday. Pictured: McGregor is seen in a yacht with long-time partner Dee Devlin

Irish media revealed last August the woman walked into a Garda station in the Dublin suburb of Crumlin to claim she was assaulted during a party on McGregor’s triple-deck super yacht last July when he held a celebration for his 34th birthday. Pictured: McGregor is seen in a yacht with long-time partner Dee Devlin

The former UFC champion has faced a range of other legal claims in recent years, during which he has left and returned to the sport a number of times.

He pleaded no contest to disorderly conduct after he threw a metal dolly at the window of a moving bus carrying other UFC fighters in April 2018.

He was found guilty and sentenced to five days of community service, and was ordered to take between one and three anger management classes. 

In March 2019, he was arrested in Miami Beach and was accused of breaking a man’s phone. The case was dropped, as was another lawsuit after McGregor reached an out-of-court settlement with the man.

McGregror also pleaded guilty to assault in November 2019 for punching a man in a Dublin pub, and was fined £890.

At the time, the court heard that the fighter had 18 previous convictions, the majority of which were related to road traffic offences.

Last September, McGregor was arrested after an alleged sexual assault and indecent exposure in a bar on the island of Corsica. He has denied all wrongdoing in the case, and was released from custody without charge.

The former UFC champion has faced a range of other legal claims in recent years, during which he has left and returned to the sport a number of times. Pictured: McGregor celebrates after defeating Donald Cerrone in a welterweight bout during UFC246 at T-Mobile Arena on January 18, 2020 in Las Vegas

The former UFC champion has faced a range of other legal claims in recent years, during which he has left and returned to the sport a number of times. Pictured: McGregor celebrates after defeating Donald Cerrone in a welterweight bout during UFC246 at T-Mobile Arena on January 18, 2020 in Las Vegas

After a period out of the sport, McGregor returned to fighting in the UFC, only to lose to bitter rival Khabib Nurmagomedov.

He then took a 15-month hiatus, before returning to the ring again 12 months ago to fight Donald Cerrone, who he beat inside just 40 seconds.

In January 2021, he faced UFC Lightweight Championship challenger Dustin Poirier in a rematch of their 2014 fight. McGregor lost via technical knockout in the second round – the first knockout loss of his career.

He was also handed a six-month medical suspension from the sport before he fought Poirier for a third time in July, losing the fight again by technical knockout.

In November 2021, McGregor lost the latest round of his legal fight with a clothing firm over sportswear bearing his name in a brand row that could cost him millions. 

He applied to register his name as a trademark to sell clothing across Europe.

However, the move was opposed by the McGregor fashion label, which was founded by Scottish businessman David Doniger more than 100 years ago and is now owned by a Dutch company.

Source

Related posts