Katy Perry breaks her silence as she posts on social media for the first time since her ex-husband Russell Brand was accused of rape and sexual assault
Katy Perry has broken her social media silence as she speaks out for the first time since her ex-husband Russell Brand was accused of rape and sex assault.
Brand, 48, has been accused of rape, sexual assault and emotional abuse by four women who said the alleged incidents took place in the height of his fame, between 2006 and 2013.
While Perry has remained silent on the allegations, she shared her first post on Instagram on Tuesday since the allegations came to light.
Avoiding any mention of her ex Brand, Perry shared photos of her new line of cowboy boots, including a picture of herself posing on a scooter.
The caption read: ‘Scootin n bootin’, as she kept a dignified silence on the matter, after previously admitting she knew ‘the truth’ about Brand.
Katy was seen in public for the first time since the allegations came to light on Sunday in Los Angeles.
She was spotted behind the wheel of her Porsche with her fiancé Orlando Bloom seen heading to the gym earlier in the day.
Perry, who was married to Brand for 14 months, previously alluded to ‘keeping his truth’ which she would keep locked in her safe ‘for a rainy day’ during a 2013 interview with Vogue which has recently resurfaced.
It is the first time that Perry had been seen in the wake of the explosive allegations made against Brand in recent days.
She has remained silent on the issue so far but questions have been raised about how much she knew after a 2013 interview with Vogue resurfaced.
Perry first met the comedian in 2008 before the couple held a lavish wedding in India at the Ranthambore Tiger Sanctuary in Rajasthan in 2010.
Their marriage was set to be short lived, however, after Brand told the singer he wanted a divorce via text message the following year.
Speaking in the Vogue interview, the California Gurls singer said she had initially taken ‘a lot of responsibility’ for the split until she ‘found out the real truth.’
Perry said she would keep this ‘truth,’ which she could not ‘necessarily disclose,’ locked in her safe ‘for a rainy day.’
It has prompted renewed speculation about what secret the singer had been referring to following the divorce.
She said at the time: ‘He’s a very smart man, and I was in love with him when I married him.
‘Let’s just say I haven’t heard from him since he texted me saying he was divorcing me December 31, 2011.’
Perry added: ‘I felt a lot of responsibility for it ending, but then I found out the real truth, which I can’t necessarily disclose because I keep it locked in my safe for a rainy day. I let go and I was like: This isn’t because of me; this is beyond me. So I have moved on from that.’
The outing comes after UK outlets The Times and Sunday Times claimed ‘several women’ have come forward with undisclosed allegations about Brand’s behavior during the early 2000s in wake of their joint investigation with Channel 4 which was published on Saturday.
The maverick actor and stand-up comic has strenuously denied any wrongdoing and blamed the ‘mainstream media’ for the ‘litany of astonishing, rather baroque attacks.’
The latest allegations – which the newspaper says have not been investigated, but will now be ‘rigorously checked’ – follow accusations from four women, including one who claims she was sexually assaulted by Brand during a three-month relationship with him when she was 16 and still at school.
The BBC is now also facing ‘urgent questions’ after it was claimed Brand used his company-provided car service to pick the girl up from school.
Both the BBC and Channel 4 have launched internal investigations into separate accusations of predatory behavior by Brand towards staff and audience members during the time of his employment.
Channel 4 has since removed all programs linked to Brand from its website, including episodes of The Great British Bake Off and Big Brother’s Big Mouth in which he was featured, The Daily Telegraph reported.
Netflix has since been urged to remove his comedy special, titled Re:Birth, from its streaming catalogue.
The BBC’s probe was announced minutes before Scotland Yard piled on the pressure by announcing that detectives would like to speak to the comedian’s alleged victims.
Among the complaints raised in the investigation were allegations by one woman, who alleged Brand raped her against the wall in his Los Angeles home.
Another woman alleged the comedian sexually assaulted her while she worked with him in Los Angeles and that he threatened her with legal action if she told anyone.
The third claimed she was sexually assaulted by Brand who she alleges was physically and emotionally abusive towards her.
The fourth woman, referred to as Alice to protect her identity, said she was 16 when he choked her during a sexual act.
She alleges he took her virginity, was ‘preoccupied’ with her being ‘innocent and pure,’ and often referred to her as ‘The Child.’
Alice described his behavior towards her as ‘grooming’ as Brand would allegedly provide her with scripts on how to deceive her parents into allowing her to visit him. She also claimed he would send his ‘BBC car’ to her secondary school to pick her up.
‘The first time I used it, he told me it was booked to take him to his radio show but he had a friend taking him instead so I should use that car,’ she told The Times.
She claimed the chauffeur once took her from Brand’s home to her grandmother’s house and that on a separate occasion the same car ‘picked me up from school.’
Alice added: ‘It was the same car…I knew that that was a BBC car.’
The BBC did not initially commit to an inquiry but amid the growing outcry, it has since shifted its position and a spokesman said it was ‘urgently looking into the issues.’
In a statement, a BBC spokesman said: ‘The documentary and associated reports contained serious allegations, spanning a number of years.
‘Russell Brand worked on BBC radio programs between 2006 and 2008 and we are urgently looking into the issues raised.’
Brand has lashed out at ‘aggressive’ media claims as he insisted any relationships he had ‘during his time of promiscuity’ were ‘consensual’ in a 2min 45sec monologue to his 11million followers on X and 6.5million subscribers on YouTube.
He accused the news organizations of coordinating an attack on him, telling his followers: ‘Is there another agenda at play?
‘Particularly when we’ve seen coordinated media attacks before, like with Joe Rogan, when he dared to take a medicine that the mainstream media didn’t approve of, and we saw a spate of headlines’.