LA hit-and-run driver who plowed into mom and baby asks to be let out of punishment EARLY

LA hit-and-run driver who plowed into mom and baby in stolen car begs to be freed EARLY after woke LA DA slapped him with just seven months in juvenile camp: Victim says: ‘F*** George Gascon’

  • The 16-year-old convicted of mowing down a mother and her infant last June has was granted a hearing for his request for early release from juvenile  probation
  • The boy was sentenced to seven months at the camp, after being found to have been intoxicated while driving the car, which was also stolen
  • LA County District Attorney George Gascon –  known for going light on criminals in the name of progressive reform – sought a softball sentence for the boy
  • The mother who the boy hit, known only as Rachel, said ‘F— George Gascon’ when she heard the boy had been granted a hearing

A California youth convicted of mowing down a mother and her eight-month-old baby in a horrifying hit and run last year has asked to be released early – despite being sentenced to just seven-months in a juvenile probation camp.

As the 16-year-old driver is due to appear in an LA court at 9am Thursday to make his plea, the young mother voiced outrage that District Attorney George Gascon didn’t inform her of the hearing.

‘I remain incredibly disappointed with the justice system in LA, but I am unsurprised to learn that I am yet again being denied my rights as a victim to participate and use my voice in the judicial process,’ the mother, only identified as Rachel, told Fox News Digital, ‘F— George Gascon.’

Rachel said she expected the boy’s next hearing to be on November 8, near the end of his sentence slightly more than half-year sentence which she thought was too short to begin with.

The incident made headlines in June after Gascon’s office – long known for going light on criminals in the name of progressive reform – sought a softball sentence while prosecuting the 16-year-old, who was intoxicated while driving the stolen vehicle.

A California youth convicted of mowing down a mother and her eight-month-old baby in a horrifying hit and run last year is asking to be released early after being sentenced to just seven-months in a juvenile probation camp

A California youth convicted of mowing down a mother and her eight-month-old baby in a horrifying hit and run last year is asking to be released early after being sentenced to just seven-months in a juvenile probation camp

As the 16-year-old driver is due to appear in a Los Angeles court at 9am Thursday to make his plea, the young mother voiced outrage that LA County District Attorney George Gascon didn't inform her of the hearing

As the 16-year-old driver is due to appear in a Los Angeles court at 9am Thursday to make his plea, the young mother voiced outrage that LA County District Attorney George Gascon didn’t inform her of the hearing

Harrowing footage from the August 6, 2021, incident showed Rachel pushing her son Charlie in a stroller through the Venice neighborhood when the car came careering towards her.

She tried to get out of the way in the narrow alley, but the car veered towards her and smashed into her and the stroller, throwing her over the top of the car and crashing into the baby.

As horrified onlookers ran to help, the driver sped off – only stopped when a pickup truck blocked his path.

During his sentencing in June it was decided that the teenager – known only as KB – would serve his sentence at a ‘juvenile probation camp,’ rather than in juvenile detention.

Rachel, in her victim impact statement, told of the devastating impact of the teenager’s actions – who had drugs in his system at the time, but was not drunk.  

‘I thought those were the last moments of our lives; we were dead,’ she wrote. 

‘That feeling, along with the memory of a car accelerating directly into us, will haunt me forever.’

She described in vivid detail the horrific moment he surged towards her and her baby. 

‘As the car approached me and my child, I stopped walking and moved the stroller and myself up against a building on the right side of the road to ensure that we gave the reckless driver plenty of room to pass,’ Rachel said. 

‘As the car got dangerously close to us, KB turned the wheels in our direction and accelerated as he aimed to kill us.’

‘I was also told that his record would be wiped clean when he turns 18,’ she continued. 

‘How on earth can that be? He tried to murder two innocent pedestrians. Murder. And we have video evidence. My child would be dead if I hadn’t been there to protect him.’

The incident made headlines in June after Gascon's office - long known for going light on criminals in the name of progressive reform - sought a softball sentence while prosecuting the 16-year-old, who was intoxicated while driving the stolen vehicle

The incident made headlines in June after Gascon’s office – long known for going light on criminals in the name of progressive reform – sought a softball sentence while prosecuting the 16-year-old, who was intoxicated while driving the stolen vehicle

Gascon’s office told Fox News the youth camp sentence was ‘an appropriate resolution.’

‘The Sheriff’s Department agreed with the felony charges that were filed. 

‘At arraignment, the minor admitted two felony counts of assault by means of force likely to produce great bodily injury and one felony count of hit-and-run. 

‘The Probation Department recommended, and the court sentenced the minor to a youth camp for five to seven months, an appropriate resolution.’

They said that juvenile justice was intended to ‘rehabilitate young people’.

‘In this case, this teen will be held accountable for his actions and receive the needed services to foster positive development to keep him from committing future offenses,’ the office added.

'I remain incredibly disappointed with the justice system in LA, but I am unsurprised to learn that I am yet again being denied my rights as a victim to participate and use my voice in the judicial process,' the mother, only identified as Rachel, told Fox News Digital , 'F--- George Gascon'

‘I remain incredibly disappointed with the justice system in LA, but I am unsurprised to learn that I am yet again being denied my rights as a victim to participate and use my voice in the judicial process,’ the mother, only identified as Rachel, told Fox News Digital , ‘F— George Gascon’

Harrowing footage from the August 6, 2021, incident showed Rachel pushing her son Charlie in a stroller through the Venice neighborhood when the car came careering towards her

Harrowing footage from the August 6, 2021, incident showed Rachel pushing her son Charlie in a stroller through the Venice neighborhood when the car came careering towards her 

Yet Rachel remained furious.

‘I have never been more surprised or disappointed, and, in fact, I have never felt so victimized as I have by the system and current policies of LA’s DA, George Gascon,’ Rachel wrote. 

‘My heart breaks when I think about all of the other victims out there, less fortunate than me, whose murderers are getting lenient sentences and being released from prison before their sentences are complete.’ 

She added: ‘George Gascon doesn’t value my life or the life of my child, or any other victim out there and would rather reward the monsters like KB by demonstrating to them that their actions have no consequences. 

‘DA Gascon is telling him and every other thug in LA County that it doesn’t matter if you try to murder people. 

‘Why are Gascon’s policies prioritizing the livelihood of rotten monsters when my child, my baby, who is incapable of protecting himself, is left to fend for himself, and is essentially being told his life doesn’t matter?’ 

Gascon, 68, was elected in November 2020, but has proved deeply unpopular for his progressive policies that critics say are soft on crime.

In August recall petition fell just shy of the 567,000 required to put bring the motion to a ballot, while still amassing about 520,000 names.

George Gascon’s history of leniency

December – Gascon tried to have the two previous ‘strikes’ in the case of a mother accused of murdering her daughter removed. Akira Keyshell Smith, 36, is facing charges for murder, assault on a child, and torture in the death of Eternity Smith, four, who died in August 2020.

January – Hannah Tubbs, 26, pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting a 10-year-old girl in the bathroom of a Palmdale, California, branch of Denny’s in 2014 when she was 17. Gascon said she should be tried as a juvenile – and Tubbs was caught on a recorded line in prison bragging about Gascon’s lenient sentence. In February, he admitted it was too soft.

Hannah Tubbs is pictured in their November 2021 booking photo

Hannah Tubbs is pictured in their November 2021 booking photo

February – Gascon admits that a policy he was elected on – a ban on life sentences in murder cases – was not always correct.

– Former Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck has rescinded his support of Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascón, joining a chorus of law enforcement officials and victims’ advocates who have expressed concern over what they deem Gascón’s soft-on-crime policies.

May – Dave Chapelle is attacked on stage by Isaiah Lee, 23, on May 3. Lee was booked for suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon, and Gascon decided not to prosecute Lee for a felony. They said that, while criminal conduct occurred, they believe it ‘did not constitute felony conduct’ and was only a misdemeanor. Chapelle’s attorney said he was ‘upset’ at Gascon’s decision.

– A California parole panel recommended the release of Charles Manson’s follower Patricia Krenwinkel for the first time. Krenwinkel, 74, was previously denied parole 14 times for the slayings of pregnant actor Sharon Tate and four other people in 1969. Yet, for the first time, Los Angeles County prosecutors weren’t at the parole hearing to object, under Gascon’s policy that prosecutors should not be involved in deciding whether prisoners are ready for release.

June – California Appeals Court rules that Gascon cannot order prosecutors to ignore the state’s three-strikes law, that may increase prison terms when filing criminal charges.

– Gascon’s office asks for a mere seven-months at a  ‘juvenile probation camp,’ rather than in juvenile detention for a 16-year-old who nearly ran down a mother and her infant while driving a stolen car under the influence of drugs

September – The 16-year-old who ran down a mother and her infant is granted a hearing for a request to be released from juvenile probation camp early

Advertisement

Source

Related posts