A politician has called for an investigation into the parents of the current Miss Universe Australia after it was revealed their failed businesses owe creditors tens of millions of dollars.
In a statement to Victoria’s parliament on Tuesday night, shadow transport minister for Victoria and former opposition leader Matthew Guy called on the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) to reopen investigations into the parents of Moraya Wilson, Anton and Melinda.
Moraya won the Australian leg of the Miss Universe pageant in Melbourne on September 1. Just a day later her parents’ debts and her title as director of 10 companies owing thousands of dollars in tax were revealed.
Anton Wilson has been banned by ASIC from managing corporations until 2027, while his ex-wife Melinda was disqualified from managing corporations for five years in March last year.
The lengthy bans stem from their failed businesses owing more than $45million, about $21million of which is reportedly owed to the Australian Taxation Office.
During his statement to the state’s parliament, Mr Guy said that a number of his constituents had contacted his office concerned about the ‘actions of Mr and Ms Wilson’.
‘I do note that there is a lot of money in this issue that is owed and has been at play, and many Victorians have been financially hurt and seek rightful redress,’ Mr Guy said.
‘It is not right that a number of companies linked to these individuals continue to operate while tens of millions of dollars in unpaid debts remains outstanding.’
The MP revealed that ASIC had previously investigated the couple but the inquiries had been ‘bizarrely’ concluded ‘with no serious attempt to seek financial redress or assist those who are seeking to obtain justice’.
‘How can it be that our federal regulatory authorities cannot commence or reopen investigations into people who owe so much money to so many?’ Mr Guy asked.
Mr Guy requested the state assistant treasurer contact to contact his federal counterpart, Stephen Jones, to ‘immediately reopen an investigation’ into Mr and Ms Wilson.
He also called on Victorian Premier, Jacinta Allan, to put pressure on the ‘feds’ to conduct an investigation promptly for the sake of ‘Victorians involved who have been financially hurt’.
During his statement Mr Guy also touched on Ms Wilson’s status as the sole director of 10 of the family’s businesses that are also in the red, owing tens of thousands.
Daily Mail Australia has approached Moraya Wilson for comment.
She has previously denied having any knowledge of the companies nor that she is an active director of any of them.
It is the latest hit for the 21-year-old after a petition was launched last week calling for her to abdicate her crown as Australia’s top model.
Willy Bagatcholon, who describes himself as a human rights advocate, is behind the petition and has called for signatories to ‘strip Moraya Wilson of her crown’ as Miss Universe Australia.
‘In light of the recent reports that Moraya Wilson and her parents are involved in an alleged tax evasion of about $100million, her actions do not align with the Miss Universe message,’ the petition read.
‘This is why I believe Moraya Wilson should step down from her position as Miss Universe Australia.’
While Moraya said she was aware of the petition, she also said she intends to compete in the international competition nonetheless, news.com.au reported.
‘I intend to fulfil my duties as Miss Universe Australia to the best of my ability with the full support of The Miss Universe Australia management,’ she said.
Moraya is currently in El Salvador to represent Australian in the international leg of the Miss Universe competition.