MasterChef’s Ben Ungermann has declared he ‘knows his self-worth’ in his latest social media post since being accused of sexually assaulting a teenage girl.
The 34-year-old was charged with three counts of sexual assault by Victorian sexual crime squad detectives on March 6 over an alleged incident with a 16-year-old girl on February 23.
Ungermann, who denies the allegations and will defend the charges, had been in Melbourne for the filming of MasterChef: Back to Win program.
On Thursday afternoon, Ungermann shared an introspective Instagram post about his experiences over the past couple of months.
Ben Ungermann shared an introspective Instagram post about his experiences over the past couple of months (pictured)
The former MasterChef contestant was removed from the show after he was charged with sexually assaulting a teenage girl
The chef’s tattoos were on show as he sat topless from a cliff-edge and looked out to the ocean.
‘The ocean is a place I find soothing for quiet contemplation,’ Ungermann wrote.
‘In the last few months people have had a lot to say about me without knowing me or my circumstances.’
‘But if I have learnt anything about myself in recent months, is that I am much stronger than people think.
Ungermann concluded by saying he is looking forward to change in his life.
‘I know my self-worth and I know the person I am and I’m looking forward to a change of scenery,’ he wrote.
Ben Ungermann (pictured) was quietly removed from the latest season of MasterChef after producers learned of the charges
Ungermann (pictured) denies the allegations and will defend the charges
Ungermann also included the hashtags ‘you are enough’, ‘growth’, ‘fresh start’ and ‘new beginnings’.
In June, Ungermann’s lawyer Sarah Condon told the Melbourne Magistrates Court via video link that Ungermann intended to fight the charges.
Court documents state police allege Ungermann intentionally touched his alleged victim without her consent at least three times.
One of the charges includes graphic detail of one of the alleged attacks against the young girl.
The teenage girl alleges that on Sunday February 23, Ungermann ‘sexually touched her right breast skin-to-skin’ against her wishes.
Prosecutor Stephen Payne said police intended to call four child witnesses to give evidence against Ungermann – each of them from interstate.
Ungermann shared an Instagram post about his strength on March 20
Both Ungermann’s defence and prosecutors argued against releasing details of the alleged offence to the public.
Magistrate Marita Altman agreed, releasing only the charge sheets to media.
In May, top criminal lawyer Adam Houda told Daily Mail Australia his client was completely blindsided by the charges.
‘My client is distressed by the charges, which came as a huge shock to him,’ he said.
‘The allegations, I am instructed, are a complete fabrication and are denied.’
Ungermann was dropped from MasterChef once producers learned of his arrest.
Fans had first noticed Ungermann had disappeared from MasterChef: Back to Win when he didn’t appear on an episode with U.S. singer Katy Perry.
It was only on days later that Scottish-born restaurateur Jock Zonfrillo announced for the first time that Ungermann had left the competition for a ‘personal matter’ and would not be returning.