Meghan Markle’s father Thomas makes first public appearance since stroke

Meghan Markle’s father Thomas makes his first public appearance since being rushed to hospital with a stroke and holds up a sign thanking the British people

  • Thomas Markle, 77, suffered a stroke in May and spent five days in hospital 
  • Mr Markle appeared in public for the first time since then in a video on GB News
  • Presenter Dan Wooton interviewed his son, Thomas Markle Jr, 56, this evening 
  • The elder Markle thanked the British public for their ‘best wishes and good will’
  • Dan Wooton’s interview with Thomas Jr airs tonight on his 9pm GB News show   

In his first public appearance since suffering a stroke three months ago, Meghan Markle‘s father thanked the British public for their support.

An exclusive video of Thomas Markle, 77, on GB News this evening marks his first public appearance since his stroke in May, which saw him lose his speech.

It was shown during Dan Wooton’s interview with Mr Markle’s son Thomas Markle Jr, where he opened up about his father’s recovery.

In the video, Mr Markle can be seen sitting at a table overlooking a windy beach. He holds a whiteboard and pen, holding up the sign to the camera.

The sign reads: ‘Hi Dan, Thank you and the British people for the best wishes and good will’. 

Thomas Markle, 77, appeared in the video above a windy beach in his first public appearance since his stroke in May

Thomas Markle, 77, appeared in the video above a windy beach in his first public appearance since his stroke in May

Mr Markle thanked presenter Dan Wooton and the British public for their 'best wishes and good will'

Mr Markle thanked presenter Dan Wooton and the British public for their ‘best wishes and good will’ 

The retired Hollywood lighting director suffered a stroke on May 23 and spent five days in hospital.

He fell over while shopping and had to be helped to his feet just days before he was hospitalised.

After being discharged, he said: ‘I feel hugely grateful and know how lucky I am to be alive.

‘I want to thank everyone, especially the wonderful doctors and nurses who saved my life. They are angels.

‘I have been deeply moved by loving messages I’ve received from all over the world. People have been so kind. I can’t speak right now, but I am working hard and will thank people properly when I can.’

Mr Markle had been planning to fly to the UK in June to celebrate the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee, but the stroke, which left him with limited speech, scuppered the trip.

Thomas Markle was rushed to hospital after suffering a stroke - he was hospitalised for five days and lost his speech

Thomas Markle was rushed to hospital after suffering a stroke – he was hospitalised for five days and lost his speech 

Dan Wooton's interview with Thomas Jr airs tonight on his 9pm GB News show

Dan Wooton’s interview with Thomas Jr airs tonight on his 9pm GB News show 

Writing on a whiteboard with a felt-tip pen at the time, he said: ‘I wanted to come to pay my respects to the Queen. I wish her a happy Jubilee and many more years.’

The severe stroke was caused by a blood clot on the right side of Mr Markle’s brain.

He was rushed to a hospital near his home in Rosarito, Mexico, before being transferred by ambulance to the US border where an ambulance was waiting to ferry him to a hospital in San Diego, California.

He has been in a critical-care ward all week and has made what one doctor told him was ‘remarkable progress’.

On leaving the Californian hospital, he was able to speak a few words, but faces what he calls ‘an uphill battle’ to regain his power of speech.

‘I have lots of hard work to do and will do it,’ he wrote. ‘I want to get well. I’m so lucky to have had amazing care and love. Thank you everyone.’

Mr Markle was be cared for by his 56-year-old son, Thomas Jr, who drove 11 hours through the night to be with his stricken father. 

‘I was visiting my son and his family in Oregon when I got the call,’ said Thomas Jr at the time.

‘I will be here for Dad and do whatever it takes to help him on his road to recovery. It’s been a terrible shock for everyone but Dad is a strong man and he is determined to get well.

‘He’s already started working with a speech therapist and is making great progress. We’ve received hundreds of messages of support for him from people all over the world.

‘We are so grateful for the outpouring of love for Dad. I’m here for him for as long as it takes.’

Mr Markle’s daughter Samantha previously said that he may need a year of therapy to recover his speech after being struck down by the stroke.

His family had been worried about his high blood pressure for some time before he fell ill, resulting in him losing even the ability to tell paramedics what was wrong with him.

The 77-year-old had to write down his symptoms on a piece of paper.

Mr Markle was forced to miss his daughter’s wedding to Prince Harry in 2018 after he had two heart attacks just days before.

Dan Wootton Tonight airs Monday-Thursday at 9pm on GB News.

Source

Related posts