Victoria police are gearing up for another day of anti-lockdown protests as thousands vow to attend a ‘Melbourne Freedom Walk’ on Saturday.
The planned protest is set to kick off at the city’s Tan walking track at 11am and has garnered around 1,500 responses from people saying they will attend online.
The march is believed to be the doing of sacked Clive Palmer political candidate and conspiracy theorist Tony Pecora, 43.
Mr Pecora was arrested by police after allegedly planning the event and charged with two counts of incitement.
The ‘Freedom Walk’ comes just one week after anti-lockdown protests erupted across the city with 17 demonstrators arrested and 160 fined.
A ‘Freedom Walk’ planned for Saturday was allegedly organised by sacked Clive Palmer political candidate Tony Pecora (pictured)
Saturday’s planned march comes just one week after protests erupted across the city with 17 arrested
The march is expected to kick off at 11am on Saturday at Melbourne’s Tan walking track (pictured people walking the Tan last week)
Mr Pecora allegedly created the event on social media under the alias Arkwell Tripellego.
He believes the deadly coronavirus was ‘genetically engineered by world banks to kill off weak humans’.
He then quoted Midnight Oil, allegedly telling police if someone contracted coronavirus at one of his events ‘it would be better to die on your feet than live on your knees’.
Organisers say the event will be legal and only available for people who live within 5km of the Tan.
‘Come together, get healthy and talk about getting our freedoms back,’ the event says.
‘Social distancing will be adhered to, along with facial coverings, and the aim is to remain walking so as not to create a conflict with police.’
The walk is expected to be replicated next week.
Victoria Police Assistant Commissioner Luke Cornelius (pictured) slammed anybody thinking about attending the march
One protester is seen arrested by police during the Freedom Day marches in Melbourne last Saturday
On Friday, Victoria Police Assistant Commissioner Luke Cornelius unleashed on anybody thinking about attending the march and warned police would be out in full force.
‘I feel a bit like a dog returning to eat his own vomit,’ he said.
‘I am incredibly frustrated. If people were less selfish and a bit more grown up, we wouldn’t have to keep doing this.
‘Don’t take us for fools. We’ll have no hesitation in issuing fines.’
Mr Cornelius said as well as the $1,652 fines, people could be charged in court and forced to pay up to $20,000.
A man with his shirt ripped is taken away by police in Melbourne last week
Police clashed with thousands of protesters at the Shrine of Remembrance last Saturday
Premier Daniel Andrews also pleaded with people not to take part.
‘All you’re potentially doing is spreading the virus,’ he said on Friday.
Mr Pecora was granted bail on Friday with conditions disallowing him from using social media or contacting other organisers.
Under Stage Four restrictions Melburnians can only leave their homes for exercise if they stay within five kilometres of their house and only for one hour.
They can exercise with one other person.
Last Saturday ‘Freedom Day’ protests erupted at the city’s Shrine of Remembrance with police tackling demonstrators to the ground and dragging them away in handcuffs.
Thousands turned up to the protest – many without masks – but they were no match for the wall of police officers.
Another man is tackled to the ground and put in handcuffs by Victoria Police during last weekend’s protest