Met Police interviewed two men under caution over King Charles ‘cash-for-honours’ probe: Scotland Yard reveals detectives spoke to man in his 50s and man in his 40s
- Police are probing whether cash was exchanged for CBE with a Saudi billionaire
- Met have said two men, one in his 50s and one in his 40s, have been interviewed
- The allegations are linked to King Charles’ aides and his charitable foundation
The Metropolitan Police have confirmed they interviewed two men in connection to the cash for honours investigation into King Charles’ aides and his charitable foundation.
The force said a man in his 50s and a man in his 40s had both been interviewed under caution in connection with the ongoing investigation.
A spokesman told MailOnline: ‘On Tuesday, 6 September, police interviewed a man aged in his 50s and a man aged in his 40s under caution in relation to offences under the Honours (Prevention of Abuses) Act 1925.
The Metropolitan Police have confirmed they interviewed two men in connection to the cash for honours investigation into aides of King Charles (pictured) and his charitable foundation
‘The investigation remains ongoing and we will not be providing a running commentary on its progress.’
The force confirmed there have been no arrests in connection with the investigation.
Earlier this year, the Metropolitan Police and Charity Commission launched inquiries into allegations surrounding links between His Majesty’s Prince’s Foundation and Saudi billionaire Mahfouz Marei Mubarak Bin Mahfouz.
One of King Charles’s aides who worked with the Prince’s Foundation at the same time was accused of promising to help donor Dr Bin Mahfouz get not only British citizenship but a knighthood too.
It is believed Mahfouz pledged cash to help restore Scottish estates such as Dumfries House
King Charles has said at the time he had ‘no knowledge’ of any cash-for-honours offers.
The aide was accused of helping to ‘fix’ a CBE for Mahfouz Marei Mubarak bin Mahfouz, 52, who was honoured by the prince in a private ceremony at Buckingham Palace after pledging large sums to help restore royal residences in Scotland.
Scotland Yard’s special enquiry team began examining the allegations after they appeared in The Sunday Times last September.
In February, it launched a full investigation into potential offences committed under the Honours (Prevention of Abuses) Act 1925 – raising the prospect of Charles being interviewed by the police.