A 10-year-old Michigan boy is recovering in a local hospital after he suffered severe injuries while grabbing for an explosive.
Brittany Moist said that she was called on Friday afternoon and told of the incident involving her son, Connor, shortly after it happened.
‘Last year my grandmother bought a Christmas box from a yard sale. It was full of ornaments and decorations and stuff and Connor found this little silver one. It had a hook on it like all the other ornaments and it had a little wick on it and he thought it was a smoke bomb, so he took it downstairs,’ the mother explained to WLNS.
Connor, 10, suffered serious injuries after he reached into a Christmas box during a yard sale and grabbed an explosive instead of an ornament
Connor lost both his index and middle finger on his left hand in the explosion. He also suffered hearing loss in both ears and had cuts all along his abdomen and chest.
The Dewitt Township boy also lost eyebrows, eyelashes and the front of his hairline. The 10-year-old also received 5 stitches to his forehead.
Moist shared that she was left in the dark on her son’s condition until after her son was taken out of emergency surgery.
‘No one really would tell me what happened and then when I got to the emergency room, they rushed him down to like, do the X-rays and then straight to emergency surgery and then I met him in his room and he was already bandaged up, he was really scared. He was happy to see me and then it’s just been kind of a day-to-day journey from there,’ she said.
Connor lost both his index and middle finger on his left hand in the explosion. He also suffered hearing loss in both ears and had cuts all along his abdomen and chest
Connor also lost eyebrows, eyelashes and the front of his hairline. The 10-year-old also received 5 stitches to his forehead.
Shanda Storie, the boy’s godmother, shared that she tried to stop him.
‘Grandma said, “No don’t light that,”‘ Storie said, referring to Connor’s great-grandparents. ‘Grandpa thought, “Well, what’s the harm, it’s a smoke bomb.”‘
The 10-year-old has to do physical therapy, counseling and needs to have more surgeries
She added: ‘I’m getting ready for work, so the light bulb went on for me and I said ‘wait Connor’ and as I was walking toward him to grab it from him he got excited and he lit it.’
Storie said that she then rushed into the home and found a towel to wrap Connor’s arm in. She then alerted authorities.
Connor had a long road to recovery, his mom shared. The 10-year-old has to do physical therapy, counseling and needs to have more surgeries.
‘He has tried to talk to me about the incident, but he gets too upset, so I haven’t had the chance to hear the whole story from his perspective. He’s been waking up at night afraid because he remembers what happens. If he hears a loud noise he panics. He’s not dealing with the explosion very well,’ Moist said.
The family has set up a GoFundMe for the kid’s recovery, providing updates as to how Connor is doing.