Moment Mexican taxi explodes in flames as driver checks problem with the engine

Surveillance camera footage has captured the moment a taxi exploded into flames as its driver checked a problem with the engine – forcing him to dive for safety and sending three passengers fleeing.

The video was captured on a street in the city of Santa Cruz Xoxocotlán, in the southwestern Mexican state of Oaxaca on Saturday.

A pedestrian is seen alerting the driver to a pool of liquid – which appears to be gasoline – under his vehicle.

The driver starts to accelerate away, but then appears to have second thoughts and stops the car for an inspection. 

But moments after he lifts the car hood to check the engine, the spilled fuel ignites and erupts in flame.

The engine caught fire moments after the driver opened the hood to inspect the vehicle

The engine caught fire moments after the driver opened the hood to inspect the vehicle

Passengers flee the burning taxi moments after the driver had opened the hood to inspect the engine

Passengers flee the burning taxi moments after the driver had opened the hood to inspect the engine

He quickly slams the hood down as the flames expand, narrowly avoiding being engulfed himself, before diving away from the car.

Moments later, three women who were traveling in the rear seat are seen jumping out of the vehicle and running away down the street.

The front half of the car was covered in flames immediately, but a man stepped out of shop with an extinguisher to put out the fire.

The driver then returned to the vehicle and appeared to remove some of his personal belongings.

The three passengers and the driver did not appear to suffer any injuries.

The driver noticed the spilled gasoline on the ground before he went on to inspect the engine, which later caught fire

The driver noticed the spilled gasoline on the ground before he went on to inspect the engine, which later caught fire

A man stepped out of a shop in Oaxaca, Mexico, and used a fire extinguisher to put out the flames

A man stepped out of a shop in Oaxaca, Mexico, and used a fire extinguisher to put out the flames

Source

Related posts