Mother, 23, reveals she suffered allergic reaction to Superdrug eyebrow tinting

Mother, 23, reveals she was left in excruciating pain due to allergic reaction to Superdrug eyebrow tinting that caused severe swelling and redness

  • Megan Francis, 23, was left with severe swelling due to an allergic reaction to tint
  • The mother-of-two had the tint applied at a Superdrug store in Telford last year
  • She began to experience pain and swelling and eventually went to A&E
  • Superdrug said: We would like to reassure our customers that all beauty therapists that work with Superdrug are fully qualified across all of the treatments that we offer’

A woman was left in excruciating pain after suffering a severe allergic reaction to having her eyebrows tinted. 

Megan Francis, 23, was left in excruciating pain after getting her eyebrows threaded and tinted at Superdrug in Telford, Shropshire, in December last year. 

The mother-of-two realised something was wrong  when she began to experience an ‘intense burning sensation’ in her eyebrows and face.

Megan Francis, 23, was left in excruciating pain after getting her eyebrows threaded and tinted at Superdrug in Telford, Shropshire. Pictured: Before

Megan after the procedure

Megan Francis, 23, was left in excruciating pain after getting her eyebrows threaded and tinted at Superdrug in Telford, Shropshire. Pictured: Before (left) and after the procedure

Three days later, her face had swollen so severely that she was unable to see and was taken to the Princess Royal Hospital in Telford.

‘It felt like my face was cooking,’ the stay-at-home mother said. ‘It was so painful and so scary. I had no idea what was happening to me.

‘My mum gets her eyebrows tinted and threaded all the time, so I assumed it would be fine. It was awful and left me really shaken.’

The mother-of-two realised something was wrong when she began to experience an 'intense burning sensation' in her eyebrows and face. Pictured, after the allergic reaction

The mother-of-two realised something was wrong when she began to experience an ‘intense burning sensation’ in her eyebrows and face. Pictured, after the allergic reaction 

Three days later, her face had swollen so severely that she was unable to see and was rushed to the Princess Royal Hospital in Telford. Pictured, during the allergic reaction last year

Meghan pictured with the swelling

Three days later, her face had swollen so severely that she was unable to see and was rushed to the Princess Royal Hospital in Telford. Pictured, during the allergic reaction last year

Megan said it took weeks for her eyebrows to return to normal

Megan said it took weeks for her eyebrows to return to normal 

Megan claims that prior to the appointment, the beautician who tinted her eyebrows did not ask her any questions or do a patch test.

‘It felt really rushed. They sat me down and started straight away, without asking any questions or checking that I wasn’t allergic,’ Megan explained.

In the days following the appointment, Megan’s face swelled so dramatically that she frightened her two young children, Layla, three, and Gracie, one.

Megan said: ‘The girls were so upset and worried about me, they couldn’t understand what had happened to my face.

Megan claims that prior to the appointment, the beautician who tinted her eyebrows did not ask her any questions or do a patch test. Pictured, following the allergic reaction

Megan claims that prior to the appointment, the beautician who tinted her eyebrows did not ask her any questions or do a patch test. Pictured, following the allergic reaction 

After suffering for several days, Megan eventually went to A&E where she was given strong antibiotics and creams to soothe her burning brows. Pictured, during the allergic reaction

After suffering for several days, Megan eventually went to A&E where she was given strong antibiotics and creams to soothe her burning brows. Pictured, during the allergic reaction 

‘They were so distressed at nursery, that their teachers called me to find out what was happening at home. My youngest just kept asking what was wrong with my face.

‘It was the week before Christmas and we had so much planned that I had to cancel. They were so upset and confused as to why I couldn’t leave the house.’

After suffering for several days, Megan eventually went to A&E where she was given strong antibiotics and creams to soothe her burning brows.

She spent a day in hospital, before being able to return home and recover.

Speaking about the ordeal, Megan said: ‘It was just before Christmas, and it really ruined that magical time of year for us.

Megan said her appearance was distressing for her children Gracie, left, and Layla

Megan said her appearance was distressing for her children Gracie, left, and Layla

‘It was incredibly painful, but also made me feel really self-conscious every time I left the house for weeks afterwards.

‘It was so frightening when it started to affect my vision – I was worried I might go blind.

‘I never expected to have such an extreme reaction to such a common beauty treatment.

‘I should have been warned about the potential side effects and had a patch test done to prevent this sort of thing from happening.’

Megan’s husband Brett, 25, made an official complaint to Superdrug after seeing Megan in so much pain. She was offered a refund.

A representative from Superdrug said: ‘We would like to reassure our customers that all beauty therapists that work with Superdrug are fully qualified across all of the treatments that we offer.’

Source

Related posts