Mother-of-four, 32,starved to death after botched gastric surgery

Mother-of-four, 32,starved to death over 18 months after botched gastric surgery in Turkey made her so ill she could not eat without vomiting as her teeth rotted and hair fell out, her family say 

  • Shannon Meenan Browse was left unable to eat solid foods after her operation
  • Mother-of-four died just days before her youngest son’s fifth birthday

A mother-of-four who starved to death over 18 months following gastric sleeve surgery couldn’t eat without vomiting, her family say.

Shannon Meenan Browse, 32, from Creggan, Northern Ireland died last week after travelling abroad in February last year to receive weight loss surgery.

She passed away from multiple organ failure at Altnagelvin Hospital in Derry.

Following surgery, her illness became so bad that her teeth rotted and her hair fell out, and she was unable to eat any solid food.

Shannon had successfully lost nearly five stone with the help of a personal trainer and an exercise programme, but was unable to carry on after she developed myopathy – a disease which affects the voluntary movement of muscles.

Shannon Meenan Browse, 32, died after becoming unable to eat following a botched weight loss operation

She began to deteriorate just weeks after going abroad for treatment in February 2022

Shannon became so ill that her teeth rotted and her hair fell out, while only being able to eat the water from pot noodles, her family say

Risks associated with weight loss surgery, according to the NHS, can include difficulty swallowing, blood clots and in rare cases death.

According to Shannon’s husband Don, she started to go downhill just weeks after having the operation.

He said that all she was only able to drink the water from Pot Noodles, and had cramps and pain, the Mirror reported.

She slowly deteriorated over a period of 17 to 18 months, when she would regularly go to the doctors to be rehydrated. 

People should be aware of the risks of weight loss surgery, Don said, adding that poor reviews were often removed.

In July Shannon was awaiting a transfer to a hospital in London to undergo life-saving liver transplant surgery.

Her parents Shane and Kathleen had also tragically lost their son this summer. 

Shannon leaves behind a 14-year-old, seven-year-old twins and a boy who turned five just days after she died.

Her youngest son’s birthday was marked by mourners at her wake with cake and candles.

Grieving father Shane said that it was hard to get care for Shannon on the NHS and that help only stepped up when she was at ‘death’s door’, but said the family were grateful for the care received in Northern Ireland.

He advised people to ‘look before you leap’ before opting to have treatment abroad.

The mother-of-four died just days before her youngest son's fifth birthday

Shannon's family are warning people about the risks of gastric sleeve surgery

In an emotional post, Shannon’s brother Shane wrote: ‘We won’t stop Shannon Meenan Browse!

‘This is what you would have wanted. My sister ripped away from us, all for what? A few satisfying numbers on a scale to please other people and fit in with society.

‘Weight can be replaced, but lives can’t!

‘Please think before travelling abroad for any treatment. There’s more to your precious life than risking it all to fit in.’

He warns: ‘Once you’re on that plane back, your on your own, remember that.

‘Sleep tight my beautiful sister.’ 

Shane said Shannon’s eldest son was ‘shot through’ by her death and had not left home since.


Related posts