A mother has paid a heartbreaking tribute to her 16-year-old son after he was shot dead in Birmingham.
The boy, who has been named as Diego Henry, died in hospital on November 7 after he was found with gunshot wounds hours before bonfire night in the inner-city suburb of Ladywood.
A 17-year-old boy was arrested on suspicion of Diego’s murder and remains on police bail.
The victim’s heartbroken mother described Diego as a ‘pleasant and well-mannered young man’ during an emotional tribute to her son.
She said: ‘Diego will be sadly missed by his mother, father, siblings and exceedingly large circle of family and friends. Diego always expressed a passion for music and would be seen singing, dancing or rapping wherever he was.
‘The circumstances surrounding Diego’s death is shocking for all, but the family would like to extend their gratitude to everyone for their continuous support, prayers and well wishes.’
She added: ‘My son Diego Henry, was a pleasant and well-mannered young man, who would easily put a smile on anyone’s face.’
Detectives are still investigating what happened on Sunday, November 5 after Diego was found at an address in Lighthorne Avenue at around 12.30pm.
A post mortem is set to take place tomorrow to determine the cause of the boy’s death after he was found with gunshot wounds.
Detective Superintendent Shaun Edwards, from West Midlands Police’s homicide team, said: ‘This is a complex investigation and a tragic set of circumstances. My sympathies truly remain with the families of both boys.
‘We are pursuing several lines of enquiry, but we still ask that anyone who has information, and hasn’t spoken to us, should contact us.
‘We have increased our uniformed patrols in the area to offer reassurance to the community, please speak to them if you have any concerns.’
Chief Inspector Sara Beech, from Birmingham Local Policing Area, previously said: ‘This is the tragic death of a young man who should have had his life ahead of him.
‘Our thoughts are with all his family and friends at what is an incredibly painful time.
‘We understand this dreadful news will naturally cause concern and upset within the community, but we need people to remain calm so we can fully investigate, get answers and convict whoever was responsible.
‘We have increased patrols in the area to offer reassurance and our officers will be available for anyone who has information.’
A scene remains cordoned off on Lighthorne Avenue, where the shooting took place, and St Vincent Street, near the city’s Brindley Place entertainment district.
The force said they were doing all they can ‘to support his family during this horrific time’.
Anyone with information should contact us via Live Chat on our website or by ringing 101 quoting log 1632 of 5 Nov.