Myleene Klass reveals she was drink-drugged in her twenties when she shot to fame in Popstars


Myleene Klass reveals she was drink-drugged in her twenties when she shot to fame in Popstars

  • Singer-turned-presenter, 44, says incident happened when she was in Hear’Say
  • She recalled the ‘scary’ incident in new book They Don’t Teach This At School
  • Myleene shot to fame on Popstars as part of the band, alongside Kym Marsh
  • After leaving band, Myleene went on to become a successful radio presenter 

Myleene Klass has revealed how she was spiked in a nightclub after shooting to fame on the hit show Popstars.

The singer-turned-presenter, now 44, says someone slipped a drug into her drink in a nightclub when she was in her twenties and part of the pop band Hear’Say.

The mother-of-three described the experience as ‘scary’. And she is now warning her eldest daughter Ava, 14, about the dangers of spiking.

Recalling the experience in her new life-skills book They Don’t Teach This At School, Myleene said: ‘I know exactly how scary it can be as it happened to me when I was in the band.

‘We were in a club and I recall a friend holding out his hand asking if I was going to be sick. That was pretty much my last memory.

Myleene Klass (pictured) has revealed how she was spiked in a nightclub after shooting to fame on the hit show Popstars

Myleene Klass (pictured) has revealed how she was spiked in a nightclub after shooting to fame on the hit show Popstars

The singer-turned-TV presenter, now 44, says someone slipped a drug into her drink in a nightclub when she was in her twenties and part of the pop band Hear'Say. Pictured: Myleene in 2001

The singer-turned-TV presenter, now 44, says someone slipped a drug into her drink in a nightclub when she was in her twenties and part of the pop band Hear’Say. Pictured: Myleene in 2001

‘Thankfully I was with friends who looked after me. One of the girls took me back and put me to bed.’

The singer, whose book was released last month and was covered in The Sun on Sunday this weekend, said it took her a ‘full 24 hours to recover’ from the experience.

She says she is now advising Ava that when she grows up and goes out that she should never leave her glass unattended or accept a drink from a stranger.

She wrote: ‘This can happen to grown-up, streetwise women just as ­easily as it can to young, less worldly-wise girls.’

According to the book, incident happened after Myleene shot to fame on the ITV talent show Popstars – which later became Pop Idol and also inspired the creation of the X-Factor.

Unlike its later iterations, Popstars was presented as a documentary, looking at the formation of a modern pop group from the auditions through to the first released single. 

Myleene featured in the pop group Hear’Say in 2001, alongside Kym Marsh, Danny Foster, Suzanne Shaw and Noel Sullivan. 

The group’s debut single Pure and Simple shot to the top of the UK Music Charts after its release.

And the pop band followed up with another top selling single, The Way To Your Love, before going on a sellout UK tour.

However their success was short lived, with tensions among members resulting in Marsh leaving the band – before it split altogether in 2002.

Myleene however continued to have success as a solo artist and a TV presenter, before a memorable appearance in the 2006 ITV reality show I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here – in which she finished second. 

Alongside modelling and charity work, she has held a regular slot as a presenter on Smooth FM. 

Myleene’s book was released last month. Alongside her spiking revelation, she also stressed the importance of teaching first aid in schools after saving both her daughters from choking.

In the book she recalled the moment she was caught off-guard when Ava, 14, choked on calamari while on holiday four years ago, and when Hero, 11, got a plastic star stuck in her throat when she was 18 months old.

Safety first: Myleene Klass, 44, has stressed the importance of teaching first aid in schools after saving both her daughters from choking (pictured in November)

Safety first: Myleene Klass, 44, has stressed the importance of teaching first aid in schools after saving both her daughters from choking (pictured in November)

Scary: The musician, who recently shared a video of her family learning CPR on Twitter, recalled the moment daughter Ava, 14, choked on calamari, and when Hero, 11, chocked a star

Scary: The musician, who recently shared a video of her family learning CPR on Twitter, recalled the moment daughter Ava, 14, choked on calamari, and when Hero, 11, chocked a star

She wrote : ‘A couple of years ago we were relaxing on holiday and my defences were down, so when Ava started to choke on calamari I didn’t immediately realise.

‘Hero choked on a small plastic star when she was one and a half.’

The Smooth Radio host went on to describe the mechanics of what to do if someone is choking, and even shared a step-by-step guide to performing CPR.

Myleene’s book also touches on treating jellyfish stings and recognising the signs of a stroke.

She also reminds people to ‘stop, drop and roll’ if they become engulfed in flames, recalling the moment she jumped to the assistance of a woman when her hair extensions caught fire at the launch of one of her classical albums, and when the same happened to a member of a rival pop band at a nightclub.

The former I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here! campmate has also shared her advice in some handy video explainers on Twitter, recreating emergency scenarios with her children.

Family: In a post to her 430,000 Twitter followers last month, Myleene spoke of the importance of being prepared for dangerous situations in a video (pictured with daughters Ava and Hero and son Apollo, two)

Family: In a post to her 430,000 Twitter followers last month, Myleene spoke of the importance of being prepared for dangerous situations in a video (pictured with daughters Ava and Hero and son Apollo, two)

In a post to her 430,000 followers earlier this year, Myleene spoke of the importance of being prepared for dangerous situations. 

She wrote: ‘Just found out we helped a Mother save her baby’s life yesterday after she watched our video on choking.

‘We are all feeling very emotional and relieved after hearing this news.

‘All my safety vids are on TikTok but going to post here too. My book contains all this information BUT *DISCLAIMER* This is a DEMONSTRATION. DO NOT attempt or try this on anyone that doesn’t require actual CPR.

‘Stay safe, informed and empowered.

‘NB. The rescue breaths are most relevant to children regarding CPR as the majority of accidents where this is required/used happens around water/pools.’

Myleene, who also shares Apollo, two, with beau Simon Motson, has been vocal about the importance of teaching first aid in schools in the past and was a part of an awareness campaign with St John Ambulance last year. 

Source

Related posts