New details emerge about Sunshine Coast zip line accident at Tree Top Challenge in Woombye


New details emerge about horror zip line accident after a young boy was rushed to hospital with potential spinal injuries after falling seven METRES

  • Boy was on the zipline at TreeTop Challenge in Woombye, on Sunshine Coast
  • He fell seven metres to the ground and suffered back and abdomen injuries
  • The nine-year-old was rushed to hospital and will be tested for spinal injuries 
  • Previous park visitors say they are shocked by the incident at the very ‘safe’ park 
  • Workplace Health and Safety Queensland have launched an investigation 
  • WPHS Investigators have seized part of the zipline and the boy’s harness 
  • Do you know more? Contact [email protected]  

Investigators have seized crucial equipment from a popular adventure park after a young boy fell seven metres to the ground in a horror zipline accident as shocked customers rush to defend the business’s safety protocols.  

The nine-year-old boy was visiting TreeTop Challenge in Woombye on Queensland‘s Sunshine Coast on Sunday when he fell from the zipline around 3.25pm on Sunday, suffering back and abdomen injuries.

Emergency teams raced to the scene and found the child on the ground around 50 metres into the course. He was taken to the Sunshine Coast University Hospital in a stable condition where he is currently recovering. 

Previous park visitors have since flocked online to reveal their shock over the accident given their experiences with the ‘diligent’ business and its rigorous safety procedures. 

Now, as authorities work to piece together what went wrong, Workplace Health and Safety Queensland have revealed the boy’s harness and part of the zipline have been seized.  

The boy had been at the TreeTop Challenge in Woombye (pictured), on Queensland 's Sunshine Coast, at around 3.25pm on Sunday when the accident occurred

The boy had been at the TreeTop Challenge in Woombye (pictured), on Queensland ‘s Sunshine Coast, at around 3.25pm on Sunday when the accident occurred

‘Workplace Health and Safety Queensland has commenced a comprehensive investigation into the incident with inspectors, investigators and experts from our Engineering Unit on-site today,’ a spokesperson told Daily Mail Australia. 

‘Relevant equipment has been seized, including part of the zip line and harness. At this stage, zipline activity has not resumed.

‘As an investigation has commenced, WHSQ will not be making any further comment.’

Under national laws, inspectors have the power to seize items during investigations due to several circumstances, including to prevent the loss of the evidence or use of the thing where the inspector believes the object is evidence of an offence. 

Other reasons for objects to be removed include for the item to be analysed, tested or examined, if the inspector believes the thing, workplace or part of the workplace is defective, hazardous or likely to cause an injury, or if seizing the thing is consistent with the purpose of entry. 

The boy (not pictured) was taken to hospital where he will undergo tests to check for potential spinal cord injuries. Pictured: Two people visit TreeTop Challenges in May

The boy (not pictured) was taken to hospital where he will undergo tests to check for potential spinal cord injuries. Pictured: Two people visit TreeTop Challenges in May 

Emergency services are seen at the park after the accident on Sunday afternoon

Emergency services are seen at the park after the accident on Sunday afternoon

Daily Mail Australia does not suggest wrongdoing on behalf of TreeTop Challenge.

Meanwhile, many shocked locals are struggling to come to terms with how the accident unfolded, saying the business is very safety conscious. 

A mother who visited with her husband, son, 14, and daughter, last Wednesday said the staff were ‘great’ at checking her family’s equipment. 

‘They would check after the group returned off a challenge then checked it all again before starting a challenge,’ she told Daily Mail Australia. 

‘They [my husband and kids] weren’t allowed to go on difficult challenges until they had successfully completed the beginner ones.

‘I just don’t understand how he could have fallen off.’

The park opened in 2019, offering an adult ziplining adventure – one for those aged eight and over – before last year opening its junior course, for children between three to 9 years.

Workplace Health and Safety investigators have seized some equipment. Pictured: TreeTop Challenges in Woombye

Workplace Health and Safety investigators have seized some equipment. Pictured: TreeTop Challenges in Woombye 

The two challenges have several courses, which are each comprised of varying difficulty levels. 

The mother said participants must view a detailed safety explainer video prior to starting the adventure and instructors are stationed throughout to assist. 

‘Once you are hooked on the [zipline] course, you are on it until you finish. If you go to the bathroom, you are told to remove your harness, and once you put it back on to have an instructor check it before returning to the other courses,’ she said.

‘I can only think this has happened because someone with no experience has played with the harness or there has been equipment failure.’

Others similarly could not fathom how the incident could have occurred.  

‘I don’t understand how this can happen,’ one woman wrote. 

‘I went there recently and you are clipped in before your feet leave the ground and can’t unclip until you are on the ground again.’

Another added: ‘TreeTop Challenge do a magnificent job harnessing everyone and making sure everyone is safe.’

‘I really hope the boy recovers quickly… the park itself is great safe and fun.’ 

Treetop Challenge offers 12 ziplines ranging from three to 35 metres off the ground

Treetop Challenge offers 12 ziplines ranging from three to 35 metres off the ground

Police and workplace health and safety officers were at the scene late on Sunday night. 

The boy is understood to have been at the park with his family. 

Queensland Ambulance Service spokesman Lorenz Kleinberg said the nine-year-old was awake and talking throughout the ordeal. 

X-rays will be conducted to determine if there he suffered any spinal injuries. 

Treetop Challenge offers 12 ziplines ranging from three to 35 metres off the ground. 

It’s website describes it as the ‘highest, largest and most thrilling high ropes adventure park’ in the country. 

‘Each session lasts for 2hrs which includes a 30 minute induction of equipment fitting and training, your child can then conduct as many courses as they would like!’ the website reads.  

‘You don’t need any experience as our team are there to ensure your child has an amazing time.’ 

Source

Related posts