Brit tourist bitten by rabid cat died after NHS suggested anti-itch cream, widow reveals

A BRIT dad bitten by a rabid cat on holiday died after being told to use anti-itch cream, his widow has revealed. Omar Zouhri went to A&E after a boy the puss also bit in Morocco died — but he got the all-clear. Father-of-two Omar Zouhri died after contracting rabies from a cat in Morocco A GP later gave Omar, 58, a rabies jab. But on returning to A&E at Stoke Mandeville Hospital three weeks later with finger pains, he was merely told to buy E45 skin cream. In a…

Read More

Battle-of-the-sexes psychology study reveals who puts together flat-pack furniture better — men or women?

BLOKES really are better at putting together flat-pack furniture, a study suggests. Cambridge University researchers tested 670,000 people to find psychological differences between sexes. Alamy Men are more analytical and better at problem-solving – like putting together flat packs It suggested men are typically more analytical and better at problem solving. It means males are better suited to rule-based jobs such as engineering or being a mechanic. And it helps explain why more men are left to do basic DIY, such as assembling Ikea flat-packs. Women were more likely to…

Read More

Boy battling cancer, 5, said ‘I’m so sorry’ to his mum hours before dying from a rare tumour 

A BOY who captured the heart of the nation – as well as superstar singer Pink – with his brave cancer battle told his mummy ‘I’m sorry’ before he died. Charlie Proctor, five, from Church, Lancs, needed a liver transplant after being diagnosed with a rare tumour in 2016. Facebook Charlie Proctor, 5, needed a liver transplant after being diagnosed with hepatoblastoma in 2016 But his parents Amber Schofield and Ben Proctor failed to raise the £855,580 they needed for the op in the US after a last-ditch plea. Devastated Amber…

Read More

Private firms ‘earning millions treating NHS patients in sub-standard psychiatric hospitals’

COMPANIES are raking in millions treating NHS patients in often sub-standard psychiatric hospitals, it was revealed last night. Thousands of patients are detained, often against their will, in wards and units which fail to meet the required standards of care, The Times reported. Getty – Contributor Companies and charities charge the NHS fees as high as £13,000 a week for the most complex cases. Some organisations make huge profits from services condemned as inadequate or in urgent need of improvement by health inspectors. Sir Stephen Bubb conducted an inquiry after…

Read More

Chemical that makes tumours glow could make brain surgery safer

A glowing chemical that lights up brain tumours could help surgeons to remove dangerous cancer cells more accurately. Treatment for glioblastoma, the disease that killed Dame Tessa Jowell, involves surgery to remove as much of the tumour as possible. However, it can be challenging for surgeons to do so while avoiding healthy brain tissue. A chemical known as 5-ALA can make the cancerous mass glow (Picture: YouTube) Medics have now trialled the fluorescent marker, which they say helps to distinguish aggressive cancer cells and could ultimately improve patient survival. A…

Read More

Girl, 9, saves four lives by donating organs after sudden death

A nine-year-old girl who was tipped to be a future tennis star has helped saved four lives since her tragic death in August. Sadie Bristow suffered a severe allergic reaction on a family outing to Whitstable Castle, in Whitstable, Kent. She experienced a sudden and unexplained anaphylactic shock that closed her airway despite her family managing what she ate. Sadie Bristow, nine, after suffering an allergic reaction (Picture: JustGiving) Her parent’s Stewart and Clare Bristow made the decision to donate her organs after she died the next day in St George’s…

Read More

Baby too young to eat solid food caught Salmonella from Honey Smacks, parents say 

A baby too young to eat solid food still got the strain of Salmonella that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has linked to Kellogg’s Honey Smacks.  After visiting relatives, Ashley and Mark Lyons’s otherwise healthy infant son did not seem to be feeling well, they told KSL.  ‘When he has one of those episodes where it’s really painful for him, he’s almost inconsolable,’ Ashley said.   The couple took the two-month-old to a doctor near their home in Santaquin, Utah, where he tested positive for Salmonella.  Further tests revealed…

Read More

Mother-of-two, 39, dies from E. coli she contracted caring for her dying toddler four years ago

A 39-year-old mother has died four years after contracting a strain of E. coli that killed her young daughter. Karen Odens’ little girl Sophia contracted the bacteria on February 5, 2014, from a mystery source. Despite being rushed to the hospital near their home in Detroit Lakes, Minnesota, the four-year-old died days later. But then, Karen fell ill with the same flu-like symptoms, and was forced to go through kidney dialysis for weeks. After a month, she was discharged, but battled dangerously fluctuating blood pressure for years, in and out…

Read More

Xanax could be driving America’s next drug epidemic

America is on track for an epidemic of addiction and overdoses from anti-anxiety medication, a top clinician warns.  With the nation’s attention on prescription painkillers, there has been scant conversation about the climbing rate of people being prescribed benzodiazepines, potent drugs like Xanax and Valium designed to alleviate anxiety and panic attacks on a short term basis. Dr Anna Lembke, a psychiatry professor at the Stanford University School of Medicine and author of Drug Dealer MD, warns ‘benzos’ are being consumed and distributed in a way that eerily echoes the…

Read More

Foodborne illnesses have nearly DOUBLED: Longer summers and imported produce drive up bacteria

Diagnoses of foodborne illnesses nearly doubled from 2016 to 2017, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s latest report. Just today, the agency announced that 88 people have been sickened by Salmonella from live chickens they keep in their back yards. Danger lurks not only in backyards, but in grocery stores, Chipotle chains and cafeterias, too.   For several month this year, not a day went by without news that romaine lettuce had sickened another person. Five people were even killed by bacteria from the food.  In these first…

Read More