Parents charged with child neglect after daughter, three, collapses from fentanyl overdose and has to be resuscitated ‘after eating half a pill she found in mom’s purse’
- Parents Janett Carter and Walter Carter arrested after daughter overdosed
- Jaelynn, three, was left unconscious after she ingested the drug Fentanyl
- Paramedics had to use Narcan – a treatment for opioid overdose – to revive girl
The parents of a three-year-old girl who was left unconscious after she overdosed on the drug Fentanyl have been charged with child neglect in South Florida.
Parents Janett Carter, 38, and Walter Carter, 40, were arrested after their daughter Jaelynn had to be resuscitated after she is believed to have eaten half a pill of Fentanyl she found in her mom’s purse.
The parents have been charged with child neglect causing great bodily harm and drug possession.
The toddler had no pulse and was not breathing when paramedics arrived at the family home in Oakland Park, southern Florida, at around 7pm on Saturday.
Paramedics intubated Jaelynn and used Narcan – a treatment for opioid overdose – to bring the girl back to life, reported WPLG-TV.
Parents Janett Carter, 38, and Walter Carter, 40, were arrested after their daughter Jaelynn had to be resuscitated after she is believed to have eaten half a pill of Fentanyl she found in her mom’s purse
What is fentanyl and why is it so dangerous?
Fentanyl was originally developed in Belgium in the 1950s to aid cancer patients with their pain management.
Given its extreme potency it has become popular amongst recreational drug users.
Overdose deaths linked to synthetic opioids like fentanyl jumped from nearly 10,000 in 2015 to nearly 20,000 in 2016 – surpassing common opioid painkillers and heroin for the first time.
And drug overdoses killed more than 72,000 people in the US in 2017 – a record driven by fentanyl.
It is often added to heroin because it creates the same high as the drug, with the effects biologically identical. But it can be up to 50 times more potent than heroin, according to officials in the US.
In America, fentanyl is classified as a schedule II drug – indicating it has a strong potential to be abused and can create psychological and physical dependence.
A toxicology test found that the toddler had ingested Fentanyl, a powerful opioid used as a pain medication.
The drug gives users the same high as heroin and it can be up to 50 times more potent than heroin. Given its extreme potency it has become popular amongst recreational drug users.
Detectives said during separate questioning, the parents claimed they were folding laundry in their bedroom when their daughter collapsed and became unresponsive.
Janett Carter was found to have Fentanyl in her system after a voluntary drug test at the hospital. Walter Carter initially refused to take the test, but eventually did so and tested positive for Fentanyl, cocaine and marijuana, according to arrest reports seen by NBC Miami.
The mother told police she had bought two pills from a drug dealer on Friday and thought they were oxycodone.
She said she believes her daughter ate half of one of the pills on Friday.
Janett Carter told police she had kept the pills in a plastic bag within her handbag, but knew Jaelynn liked to look inside it.
She said she later put the pills in a plastic bottle and flushed the down the toilet, WTVJ reported.
Officials said they found pills and cocaine inside Janett Carter’s purse and a bag of marijuana was found in Walter Carter’s pocket when they were arrested on Monday.
Walter Carter’s bail was set at $30,000 on Tuesday whilst Janett Carter’s bail was set at $31,000, according to booking records.
She will be unable to post bail because of her probation violation for an unrelated grand theft charge, WTVJ reported.