Large wildfires, and small brush fires have closed main routes across Oregon and local streets in neighborhoods across the metro area.
Many of these routes have remained closed overnight. We will update this post with the most recent information.
The first bit of good news is Interstate 5 reopened in the Rogue Valley overnight. All lanes are open south of Medford and most exits are open. Exits 24/Phoenix and 21/Talent remain closed. The Oregon Department of Transportation urges caution in the area as there is still active firefighting. Oregon 99 remains closed between south Medford (Garfield Street) and south Valley View Road in Ashland due to ongoing fire activity.
In the greater Portland area, some roads are closed due to fire activity, and some are blocked by downed trees or power lines. Here’s our list:
- Hillsboro police report Southeast Tualatin Valley Highway remains closed between Brookwood and 24th avenues for downed power lines.
- Southwest Patton Valley Road is closed at Dundee Road
- Southwest Etters Road is closed from Maple Valley Lane to Old Hwy 47
- Northwest Helvetia Road is closed from West Union to Philips Road
- A wildfire near Estacada has all lanes closed on OR 211 between Hayden Road and OR 213.
- Wildfire near Molalla has OR 213 closed at its intersection with OR 211. Also, OR 213 is closed between the community of Carus and Spangler Rd.
Regionally continued large blazes have major routes closed, especially in the central Cascade Range and western foothills.
- OR 224 is closed east of Estacada from Falls Creek Road to milepost 50
- OR 22 is closed in both directions just east of Salem. The closure extends to the Santiam Pass
- U.S. 20 is closed from Sweet Home to Tombstone Pass
- OR 126 is closed from its intersection with U.S. 20 to just east of Springfield
- OR 242 is closed from Sisters to its intersection with OR 126
- A section of OR 138 is closed between Glide and West Diamond Lake
- U.S. 97 is closed 15 miles south of its intersection with East Diamond Lake Highway to just south of Modoc Point
- OR 18 is closed from the coast to Otis, mileposts 1-7
- U.S. 199 (Redwood Highway) is closed from mileposts 34- 41 due to wildfire. Redwood Highway is closed just south of Cave Junction near the Illinois Valley Airport to the California border.
Check back throughout the morning for the latest commuting updates and follow us on Twitter: @trafficportland