A mother-of-two was left literally speechless when her lips ballooned immediately after having filler dissolved.
Courtney Taaffe, 27, from Cambridgeshire, decided she wanted the one millilitre of filler in her lips dissolved.
The young woman went to an unnamed beauty practitioner hoping to have her pout reduced, but was left with a severe allergic reaction to the dissolvent.
Ms Taaffe went on to share a TikTok video recounting her experience, claiming when she approached the practitioner who injected her, she said it was ‘meant to look like that’ and was ‘normal’.
The beauty professional had not done a patch test on her client in sufficient time and even tried to convince her that a doctor was wrong, according to Ms Taaffe.
The 27-year-old could not even speak at one point, but the unnamed beauty practitioner told her it was ‘normal’.
Two hours after the beauty treatment matters quickly escalated, with the state of the young mother’s lips becoming dire.
She described them as feeling ‘like they had air in them, like they were going to pop – and I could not speak’.
The unnamed practitioner continued to reassure Ms Taaffe via text that although her face was ‘extremely swollen’ the reaction would reduce by the following morning.
The even told the Cambridgeshire woman that the swelling was ‘normal’.
But the 27-year-old quickly became worried as all was not well the following morning, as the beauty professional had promised.
The dramatic difference between Ms Taaffe’s swollen face in the morning and the night before was as clear as day.
She said in a TikTok video which now has around 275,100 views: ‘I went to sleep very sore.’
When she awoke her face had grown larger and become ‘really inflamed’, ‘red’ and ‘really sore’.
An hour into the day after the beauty treatment, Ms Taaffe became unable to communicate, saying: ‘I couldn’t talk at this point. I was spitting and words weren’t being said properly.
‘My tongue had grown a lot so that was quite swollen.’
The mother-of-two showed just how severe her reaction had become, with an image of her aggressively swollen face from an upward angle, where it can be seen that her neck had also become inflamed.
Feeling anxious about the severe inflammation of her face, Ms Taaffe went to her nearest hospital, where she discovered she had had an allergic reaction.
She said: ‘I have never been allergic to anything in my life. I did not know what a reaction would look like or what was or was not normal for lip dissolver.’
What to expect from lip filler:
Lip fillers are a safe medical treatment when performed by an experienced healthcare provider, including a plastic surgeon, dermatologist or cosmetic surgeon.
You may experience mild pain at your injection sites. The pain should go away after 12 to 24 hours.
Lip fillers aren’t permanent. They slowly wear away over time, usually 12 to 18 months after you get them, depending on your metabolism
You may need routine touch-up treatments to maintain your desired volume.
It’s best to wait to eat until after the topical anesthetic or nerve block injection has worn off so you don’t accidentally bite your lips and disturb the filler.
According to the young woman, the unidentified practitioner carried out an allergy patch test less than two minutes before the procedure.
Responding to a comment, Ms Taaffe revealed that the practitioner told her she wasn’t allergic although the test went ‘immediately’ red.
To prevent such occurrences, beauty professionals should do an allergy alert test upwards of 48 hours before the appointment, according to the British Beauty Council.
Despite this guidance, the anonymous practitioner was adamant a patch test is only meant to be carried out ‘just before’ a procedure, boiling Ms Taaffe’s bad experience down to ‘a delayed reaction’.
The anonymous individual even went as far as suggesting the doctor was wrong, accusing the young mother of trying to ‘sabotage’ a career that she had ‘built from scratch’.
When Ms Taaffe asked for the beauty professional’s details, the woman hit out in a text message which read: ‘Absolutely not I’ve not done anything wrong unfortunately your body has reacted. Please don’t contact me anymore.’
The anonymous practitioner furiously added: ‘You can’t claim because YOU had a reaction.’
Ms Taaffe was then blocked on text and Instagram by the practitioner.
Doctors prescribed an antihistamine to the beauty client.
Three tablets later, the mother’s swelling reduced significantly but was not yet back to its original state.
Viewers were stunned by the beauty blunder, offering their sympathies to the 27-year-old.
One wrote: ‘Sorry to hear this hope you’re feeling okay now.’
Another said: ‘Oh my that looks so painful.’
A person commented: ‘Omg looked so sore… hope you’re feeling a lot better.’
One said: ‘I want to get my lips dissolved but I’m way too scared because of things like this. It happens too often.’
Another added: ‘Omg Courtney!!!! I’m never getting mine dissolved I’m scared hahahahah.’