Princess Charlene of Monaco joins Prince Albert at annual picnic

Princess Charlene of Monaco and Prince Albert have made their fifth appearance of the week at the annual Monaco picnic yesterday, amid rumours of a royal rift. 

The family were pictured at Princess-Antoinette Park in Monaco and Albert and Charlene appeared to be putting on a unified front, following claims they are living apart and only see each other ‘by appointment’

Princess Charlene – who was holding a bouquet of flowers – was dressed in a black floral patterned blouse with a onyx maxi skirt. 

Her brunette cropped hair was styled into a side parting, and she finished her look with natural make-up, featuring light glittery eyeshadow, and a pink lip. 

Prince Albert wore a navy checkered suit as he put his arms around the pair’s children, eight-year-old twins Prince Jacques and Princess Gabriella. 

Princess Charlene - who was holding a bouquet of flowers - was dressed in a black floral patterned blouse with a onyx maxi skirt

The siblings were both dressed in white and Princess Gabriella held a bunch of pink flowers. 

The family were also joined by Charlotte Casiraghi at the traditional picnic event. 

The ‘Monaco picnic’ is an annual event that is seen as the equivalent of British royal garden parties that are hosted each summer. 

Around 1,0000 Monegasques attend each year as it is seen as the last major event of the season. 

Last year Prince Albert told People: ‘It’s a fun event, a really nice moment of the year. It’s just a great, very informal, setting. The mass, which opens it up is a little formal, but then it goes right into a picnic and there’s a little cocktail party atmosphere. 

‘It’s just wonderful to be able to walk around and have “tell me about your summer” type conversations with people you know.

The couple have made a number of appearances together this week, including an awkward interview on Monaco’s first TV channel and a visit to the Princess of Monaco Cup ’19th hole’ event on Thursday. 

The celebrity cup, hosted by the Fondation Princesse Charlene De Monaco, acts as a fundraising event and invites VIP guests for a fun day of golfing activities.

Earlier this week, the pair made another united appearance as they received the new French Ambassador to Monaco, Jean D’Haussonville, at the Prince’s Palace.

Prince Albert wore a navy checkered suit as he put his arms around the pair's children, eight-year-old twins Prince Jacques and Princess Gabriella

The family were pictured at Princess-Antoinette Park in Monaco and Albert and Charlene appeared to be putting on a unified front, following claims they are living apart and only see each other 'by appointment'

Around 1,0000 Monegasques attend each year as it is seen as the last major event of the season

Offering only the slightest of smiles, the mother-of-two appeared to stand awkwardly next to her smartly-dressed husband, who in contrast, wore a beaming grin for the camera.

And last week, the couple made an awkward television appearance as they launched TVMonaco which will broadcast a wide range of programmes including current affairs, talk shows, the environment and sport in a bid to promote Monegasque culture.

Prince Albert told the MonacoTV reporter: ‘I’m very proud to be here with Princess Charlene to launch this beautiful adventure, this TV channel which will expand the importance of this principality throughout the world. 

‘And I am sure, considering how modern this setup is that there will be a very high quality of programming, important yes for residents of Monaco, but also for all those who like the principality and the riviera throughout the world so it’s a great joy to be here.’ 

Charlene, who deleted her Instagram account last month, leading to further speculation, briefly added: ‘Congratulations – and all the best for the future.’

Last month Prince Albert posed next to his former mistress Nicole Coste as they marked their son Alexandre’s 20th birthday with an outside dinner. They were joined by Jazmin Grimaldi – Albert’s other illegitimate child.

Prince Jacques and Princess Gabriella. were both dressed in white and Princess Gabriella held a bunch of pink flowers

The 'Monaco picnic' is an annual event that is seen as the equivalent of British royal garden parties that are hosted each summer

Albert and Charlene have been at the centre of speculation after reports in European media alleged she was living in Switzerland and only saw her husband ‘by appointment’. 

A source close to the royal pair told French newspaper Voici that the former Olympic swimmer and son of Grace Kelly are just a ‘ceremonial couple’.

It adds that Charlene has promised to return to Monaco on official occasions and is now allowed to see her children more often – with the pair splitting care of the children.

‘Albert and Charlene are now good partners, take turns taking care of the children,’ a source added to German newspaper Bild.

Rumours of the state of the couple’s marriage have swirled for years, since Charlene cried on her wedding to Grace Kelly’s son in 2011.

However, the rumour mill went into overdrive when Charlene spent most of 2021 apart from her husband after returning to her native South Africa for what was supposed to be a month-long trip.

She wasn’t pictured in Monaco from January 2021 until March 2022, citing a sinus issue which stopped her from flying.

Last month Prince Albert posed next to his former mistress Nicole Coste as they marked their son Alexandre's 20th birthday with an outside dinner. They were joined by Jazmin Grimaldi - Albert's other illegitimate child

Prince Albert and Princess Charlene of Monaco put on a united front as they received the new French Ambassador to Monaco, Jean D'Haussonville, at the Prince's Palace, earlier this week

She missed the seventh birthday of her twins Gabriella and Jacques and her tenth wedding anniversary with Albert.

In interviews at the time, Albert explained he had stepped up to play a bigger role in his children’s lives as the family coped with Charlene’s ongoing health issues.

Upon her return to the principality, Albert claimed she was ‘overwhelmed’ and ‘unwell’.

Speaking to People magazine at the time, Albert said the family reunion in Monaco last week initially went ‘pretty well’ in the first few hours, but it then became ‘pretty evident’ that Charlene was ‘unwell.’

He said the former Olympian ‘realised she needed help’, adding: ‘She was overwhelmed and couldn’t face official duties, life in general or even family life.’

Claims she will stay in Switzerland were backed up by a source who knows the couple well, who said: ‘The South of France is too close, but Switzerland has superb private medical facilities, and Charlene will be well looked after there.’

Cried and groom: Charlene had been accused of trying to run away three times before she married

The couple have been at the centre of split rumours for years, but have always denied there’s an issue with their marriage.

Rumours have swirled about the relationship between the Prince and the former Olympic swimmer, who is 20 years his junior.

In March this year, French magazine ROYAUTÉ previously claimed that the prince and princess were in the process of separation, but the Palace was quick to hit back

A spokesman said: ‘I would like to formally deny the malicious rumours peddled by the French magazine Royauté. Please disregard this article which is totally unfounded.’ 

Last month, the royal couple also put on a united front as they relaxed on a yacht in Corsica.

Photos show the couple relaxed while on a yacht in the Mediterranean. In one shot Albert lovingly wraps his arm around Charlene, while in another they sit side-by-side on the beach.

The couple, alongside their twins Prince Jacques and Princess Gabriella, spent the summer on a yacht owned by Kazakh businessman Bulat Utemuratov. 

Albert is the current head of the pocket-sized principality.  But it was the financial acumen of his father, Prince Rainier, that set Monaco on its current path to riches.

Together with his wife Princess Grace, formerly Hollywood’s Grace Kelly, they created one of the most unashamedly glamorous families on the planet – and a world combining high society with the high-octane thrill of the Monaco grand prix.

The couple shared a seemingly awkward kiss during their religious wedding ceremony on July 2, 2011 in Monaco

Today, Prince Albert and Princess Consort Charlene, mother of his two children, attract the attention of photographers whenever they step out in public. 

But, the wealthy lifestyle is accompanied by a fair degree of drama.

Guests at the wedding of Prince Albert of Monaco in 2011 could not help but notice that his bride, Charlene, cried through much of the ceremony. And they didn’t look like tears of joy.

Numerous photographs showed Charlene dabbing at her eyes, ignoring Albert’s audible entreaties to stop crying. 

Charlene later proffered the explanation that she had been ‘overwhelmed’ by the proceedings but her awkward demeanour added to rumours that the couple’s relationship was in trouble well before their wedding day.

A tumultuous two years for Princess Charlene that saw her spend 10 months in South Africa away from her children, admitted to a treatment facility in Switzerland and strike a rumoured £10 million a year deal with Albert  

2021: HEALTH ISSUES, 10 MONTHS IN SOUTH AFRICA AND ADMISSION TO A SWISS TREATMENT FACILITY 

January 27 – Charlene is pictured with Albert for the Sainte Devote Ceremony in Monaco.

March 18 – Charlene is pictured at the memorial for the late Zulu monarch, King Goodwill Zwelithini at the KwaKhethomthandayo Royal Palace in Nongoma, South Africa

April 2 – Charlene posts an Instagram picture of herself, Albert and their twins Jacques and Gabriella for Easter from an unknown locatoin. 

May 8 – Albert, Jacques and Gabriella attend a Grand Prix event in Monaco without Charlene

May 18 – Charlene shares her first picture from her conservation trip in South Africa

June 3 – New photos emerge of Charlene on her conservation trip

June 5 – Charlene puts on a united front as she shares a photo with her family to mark her niece’s fifth birthday with her brother’s family and Albert and the twins in South Africa

June 24 – Charlene’s foundation releases a statement saying the royal is unable to travel and is undergoing procedures for an ear, nose and throat infection

July 2 – Charlene and Albert mark their 10th anniversary separately. ‘This year will be the first time that I’m not with my husband on our anniversary in July, which is difficult, and it saddens me,’ Her Serene Highness Princess Charlene said in a statement.

August 13 – Charlene undergoes a four-hour operation. The reason is not announced

August 25 – Charlene shares photos of Prince Albert, Gabriella and Jacques visiting her in South Africa

September 1 – Charlene is admitted under an alias to the Netcare Alberlito Hospital after suddenly ‘collapsing’

September 2 – Charlene is discharged, with a statement from the Palais Princier reading: ‘Her Highness is closely monitored by Her medical team who said that Her condition was not worrying’

September 30 – Charlene releases a stylish video promoting her anti-poaching campaign from her South African bolthole

October 3 – Princess Charlene shares a photograph of herself smiling in front of a bible in her first snap since being discharged from hospital following her health scare

October 6 – Albert tells RMC radio Charlene is ‘ready to come home’

October 8 2021 – Princess undergoes more surgery in South Africa

November 8 – Charlene arrives back in Monaco. Prince Albert said within hours it became clear she was ‘unwell’

November 13 2021  – Prince Albert attends Expo 2020 in Dubai without Princess Charlene. Following his return from the trip, Prince Albert holds an intervention with Charlene’s brothers and a sister-in-law in which Charlene ‘confirmed’ she would seek ‘real medically-framed treatment’ outside of Monaco

November 16 – Royal household confirms Princess Charlene will not attend National Day celebrations on November 19

November 17 – Prince Albert reveals Princess Charlene has left Monaco and is recovering in a secret location

November 19 – Prince Albert reveals Charlene is in a treatment facility ‘elsewhere in Europe’ after a family intervention

November 25 – Sources tell Page Six Princess Charlene ‘almost died’ after sinus surgery and ‘lost nearly half her body weight’ due to being ‘unable to swallow’. They also said it was ‘unfair’ to portray her as struggling with mental health issues 

December 11 – Royal breaks her silence on Instagram to wish her twins Jacques and Gabriella a happy seventh birthday

December 24 – Princess Charlene of Monaco is still ‘months from recovery’ but will reunite with Prince Albert and their twins Prince Jacques and Princess Gabriela for Christmas at treatment centre

2022: ROAD TO RECOVERY

January 25 – Princess Charlene celebrates her 44th birthday alone: Royal shares slideshow of snaps from happier times featuring Prince Albert, their children and her swimming career as she continues to receive treatment outside of Monaco

March 14 – Palace announces that Charlene is back in Monaco but will take time to ‘further strengthen her health before gradually resuming her official duties’

April 17 – Charlene is pictured for the first time in a family portrait to celebrate Easter

April 30 – Charlene makes her first public appearance since leaving a treatment facility as she attends Monaco E-Prix with Prince Albert

May 7 – The royal makes her second public appearance at the Sainte Dévote Rugby Tournament 

May 10 – French media claims Prince Albert has agreed to pay his wife £10million a year to make sure she fulfils her consort role 

May 25 – Princess Charlene continues her return to public life at Monte Carlo Fashion Awards with daughter Princess Gabriella 

May 28 – Princess Charlene continues her return to public life as she joins Prince Albert at F1 in Monaco for the first time since 2019 

June 6 – Prince Albert says he was hurt by the ‘vicious’ rumours about his wife’s absence from Monaco and his family ‘missed the princess a lot’ 

June 16 – Princess Charlene appears sombre in all-black ensemble for Catholic festival 

June 18 – Princess Charlene of Monaco looks glamorous in all-green ensemble as she steps out with Prince Albert for the Monte Carlo TV Festival opening ceremony 

June 23 – Albert and Charlene attend a science exhibition opening with their children in Oslo – her first overseas visit since returning to public duties

July 4 – Albert and Charlene! Monaco royals hold hands in new portrait to mark 11 years of marriage

July 5 – Charlene visits the Princess Grace Hospital Centre in her first solo engagement since her return to Monaco 

July 9 – Albert attends Monaco’s Rose Ball without his wife, despite it being the highlight of the social calendar

July 18 – Royal joins Prince Albert at the 73rd Red Cross Gala in Monte Carlo 

July 20 – Couple visit The Vatican for a private audience with Pope Francis 

September 4 – Charlene joins Prince Albert and their children Gabriella and Jacques for a rare family appearance at traditional picnic in Monaco 

September 6 – Princess Charlene and Prince Albert of Monaco take their twins Jacques and Gabriella, 7, to class for their first day back after the summer holiday

September 12 – Couple attend a memorial service for the late Queen Elizabeth II

September 19 – Princess Charlene attends the Queen’s funeral in London alongside her husband Prince Albert 

October 4-5 – Princess Charlene wows on a solo surprise visit to Paris Fashion Week

October 21 – Princess Charlene of Monaco makes emotional solo visit to an animal shelter as she sends ‘all her love’ to fans following her return to royal duties

November 8 – Royal couple attend the annual Princess Grace Awards in New York 

November 16 – Princess Charlene attends Monaco’s Red Cross Christmas gift distribution with Prince Albert 

November 19-20 – Princess Charlene attends Monaco National Day celebrations with Prince Albert and presents awards at 2022 World Rugby Awards ceremony

December 2 – Princess Charlene takes her seven-year-old twins to Monaco Christmas village along with her model niece Charlotte Casiraghi

December 13 – Attends Monaco’s Red Cross Christmas gift distribution with her husband Prince Albert 

December 14 – Family attend Christmas tree ceremony in Monaco 

December 15 – Princess Charlene of Monaco reveals she feels ‘much better’ and has ‘much more energy’ after lengthy health crisis in an interview with Monaco Matin – the first since returning to royal duties

December 21 – Royals release a stylish family Christmas card

December 23 – ‘Proud’ Prince Albert praises Princess Charlene for ‘turning it around in an incredible way’ after lengthy health crisis, saying she had a ‘very tough year’ 

Source

Related posts