Qantas medical director Ian Hosegood says the man had crewed the QF176 Paris-Darwin repatriation flight, which departed Charles De Gaulle Airport last Wednesday and arrived in the NT on Thursday.
He then caught domestic flight QF841 Darwin-Sydney on Friday before isolating at home in NSW.
Dr Hosegood says the man developed COVID-19 symptoms on Monday and later tested positive before he was moved into hotel quarantine.
A Qantas crew member who worked on a repatriation flight from Darwin to Paris last week has since tested positive to coronavirus after flying from the NT to Sydney
‘We are providing support to a cabin crew member who tested positive for COVID-19 after operating the federal government’s repatriation flight back from Paris last week,’ he said in a statement on Wednesday.
‘I spoke to him last night and again this morning and thankfully he has only mild symptoms and is generally feeling well.
‘We are working with the federal and NSW Health departments to investigate how he contracted the virus and establish close contacts including any other crew members.’
Dr Hosegood said the source of the virus is a mystery because the man didn’t have any symptoms on either the repatriation flight or the domestic flights and he was wearing a face mask at all times.
He also said the Qantas crew had remained in their rooms under supervision during their layover at Charles De Gaulle Airport.
‘We are not aware of any compliance breaches,’ Dr Hosegood said.
‘Despite operating well over 100 international flights back from COVID-hotspots- including Wuhan, the United States and Europe – this is the first Qantas crew member who has contracted the virus since late March.’
Northern Territory Health Minister Natasha Fyles is yet to be fully briefed on the situation, but NSW Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant said contact tracing was underway.
‘We’ll be working with our colleagues in the Northern Territory Health Department. I’m just giving you this news which is just very recent in its origin in terms of the details,’ she said on Wednesday morning.
NSW Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant (pictured) said contact tracing was underway