Renter was forced to move out of property when landlord REFUSED to get rid of mould in his flat

Sponsored Video
Spread the love
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •   
  •  
  •  

A renter has revealed how his landlord refused to get rid of copious amounts of mould in his flat – and claimed the residue on his hat was the ‘acid wash effect’ of the garment. 

Jacques Lachetta, from Manchester, took to Twitter to share an exchange between himself and his landlord, in which he claims he asked him to remove the mould which was coating the walls and encroaching on his personal possessions on several occasions.

After pleading with him to get rid of the fungus and showing him a picture of his mouldy hat, the landlord ignored the request, and asked him if he was sure that wasn’t simply the style of the cap.  

Later, Jacques claimed that the mould had caused him to end up in A&E because of his asthma, and while he eventually moved out of the property, he was still forced to pay rent for five months. 

Jacques Lachetta, from Manchester, revealed how his landlord refused to get rid of copious amounts of mould in his flat, and claimed the residue on his hat was an 'acid wash effect' in a text exchange (pictured)

Jacques Lachetta, from Manchester, revealed how his landlord refused to get rid of copious amounts of mould in his flat, and claimed the residue on his hat was an ‘acid wash effect’ in a text exchange (pictured) 

The renter, pictured, claims he begged his landlord to remove the copious amounts of mould in his flat

The renter, pictured, claims he begged his landlord to remove the copious amounts of mould in his flat 

The renter claims the fungus was coating the walls and encroaching on Jacques personal possessions. Pictured, a corner of Jacques's windowsill covered in black mould

The renter claims the fungus was coating the walls and encroaching on Jacques personal possessions. Pictured, a corner of Jacques’s windowsill covered in black mould 

The texts in the photo read: ‘Hi, the mould in my flat is now making my own clothes and possessions mouldy. Please can this be sorted ASAP, I’ve asked so many times now.’ 

The landlord replied: ‘Are you sure that’s not an acid wash effect?’ 

Mould produces allergens – substances that can cause an allergic reaction – irritants and, sometimes, toxic substances. 

The post racked up over 12.9K retweets and 155.8K likes, with many in disbelief at the landlord’s reaction, and warning him of dangerous toxic black mould. 

Mould produces allergens - substances that can cause an allergic reaction - irritants and, sometimes, toxic substances. Pictured, mould surrounding light switches in Jacques's home

Mould produces allergens – substances that can cause an allergic reaction – irritants and, sometimes, toxic substances. Pictured, mould surrounding light switches in Jacques’s home

The post racked up over 12.9K retweets and 155.8K likes, with many in disbelief at the landlord's reaction. Pictured, mould covering a chair in the flat

The post racked up over 12.9K retweets and 155.8K likes, with many in disbelief at the landlord’s reaction. Pictured, mould covering a chair in the flat 

Jacques claimed that the mould had caused him to end up in A&E because of his asthma. Pictured, black mould sprawling up the wall in Jacques's flat

Jacques claimed that the mould had caused him to end up in A&E because of his asthma. Pictured, black mould sprawling up the wall in Jacques’s flat 

HOW CAN BLACK MOULD CAUSE HEALTH PROBLEMS?

Moulds produce allergens (substances that can cause an allergic reaction), irritants and, sometimes, toxic substances.

Inhaling or touching mould spores may cause an allergic reaction, such as sneezing, a runny nose, red eyes and skin rash. Mould can also cause asthma attacks.

Black mould often thrives in humid areas, such as bathrooms, laundry rooms, and shower cubicles.

Although not recognised by official health bodies, black mould poisoning could be a form of mycotoxicosis, which may occur if a person breathes in too many mycotoxins over a long time.

Mycotoxins are fungal metabolites which when ingested, inhaled, or absorbed through the skin could cause toxic disease in human and animals.

The adverse health effects range from acute poisoning to long-term effects such as immune deficiency and cancer, according to the World Health Organisation.

Although there have been little large studies into mycotoxins, and its significance is only fairly recently recognised, researchers have noted that mycotoxicosis was ‘the neglected disease’ which can be overlooked.

Mycotoxins are typically found in food due to infected crops. The moulds grow on cereals, nuts, spices, dried fruits, apples and coffee beans, often under warm and humid conditions.

Exposure to mycotoxins can happen either directly by eating infected food or indirectly from animals that are fed contaminated feed, in particular from milk.  

Advertisement

One user wrote: ‘It can’t be healthy living somewhere with *that* level of mould, surely?’

To which Jacques replied: ‘I ended up in A&E and unable to work for a week because of my asthma. Moved out as soon as I could but still had to pay rent for another 5 months.’

Twitter users were quick to jump to the defense of the tenant, with several sharing similar experiences with landlords, while others called the situation ‘ridiculous’. 

‘Omg this is ridiculous’, wrote one, ‘Some short term treatments you can try is washing with vinegar. Get damp rids/ a dehumidifier. But the landlord really needs to fix that!’

Twitter users were quick to jump to the defense of the tenant, with several sharing similar experiences with landlords, while others called the situation 'ridiculous' (pictured)

Twitter users were quick to jump to the defense of the tenant, with several sharing similar experiences with landlords, while others called the situation ‘ridiculous’ (pictured)

Another commented: ‘Did the landlord acid wash the entire apartment then? Ref. to you pics of the place… SUE HIS/HERS A**! I’m so sorry for this horrible person being a landlord!

A third wrote: ‘I am so sorry you had to deal with this! I had a similar issue, landlord painted over mould for viewings and let me move in to the damp flat when I was pregnant, not only was I pregnant but I have a mould allergy. F*** those landlords.’  

A fourth raged: ‘Your home is a biohazard beyond words get a lawyer and sue your landlord, that amount of mold that is enough to effect your clothes is not healthy at all. 

‘If they do nothing YOU CAN DIE!!! Mold causes major and possibly permanent respiratory problems especially black mould.’

Source


Spread the love
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •   
  •  
  •  

Related posts