Restaurant worker caught on fire at Parramatta restaurant due to electrical spark


Man fighting for his life after explosion at popular Sydney restaurant as horrified diners tried to hold his burnt body up to the building’s sprinklers to ease his pain

  • A restaurant worker is in a coma in hospital after he caught on fire at work
  • The 24-year-old was cleaning floors at On Sunset restaurant in Parramatta   
  • The cleaning liquid was reportedly ignited due to an issue with the dishwasher
  • Workers held the man up to the sprinklers as they waited for emergency services

A hospitality worker is fighting for his life in hospital after he caught on fire from a reported explosion inside a restaurant.

The 24-year-old man was cleaning the floor at On Sunset Lebanese restaurant in Parramatta on Tuesday night when a spark ignited from the cleaning agent he was using.

The employee suffered critical burns to 30 per cent of his body including his arms, face and chest.

On Sunset was full of diners eating inside at the time. 

A worker is in a serious condition in hospital after he caught on fire inside the On Sunset restaurant (pictured) in Parramatta

A worker is in a serious condition in hospital after he caught on fire inside the On Sunset restaurant (pictured) in Parramatta

The 24-year-old suffered severe burns to his arms, face and chest

The 24-year-old suffered severe burns to his arms, face and chest

Colleagues held the man’s body under sprinklers as they waited for police and paramedics to arrive.

Officers and NSW ambulance crews arrived at the establishment around 9:50pm.

The young man was treated by paramedics at the scene before he was placed into an induced coma and transported to hospital.

It’s believed the worker was cleaning the restaurant floor and caught alight when the cleaning liquid he was using ignited due to an electrical issue with a nearby dishwasher. 

‘This patient was in significant pain when we arrived after having suffered burns to around 30 percent of his body,’ said NSW Ambulance Inspector Brian Parsell.

‘We were able to stabilise the patient and placed him into an induced coma at the scene before transporting him to Concord Hospital for further care”

‘This is a reminder to the public of the dangers present when working with commercial and domestic gases, we ask that you please take care around open flames and flammable liquids at all times.’

Emergency services were called to the restaurant after reports of an explosion. Police and paramedics arrived around 9:50pm on Tuesday night

Emergency services were called to the restaurant after reports of an explosion. Police and paramedics arrived around 9:50pm on Tuesday night

The fire was caused when the cleaning agent the man used to clean the floors was ignited by an electrical issue with the restaurant's dishwasher

The fire was caused when the cleaning agent the man used to clean the floors was ignited by an electrical issue with the restaurant’s dishwasher

Fire investigators and police conducted investigations at the establishment on Tuesday and Wednesday

Fire investigators and police conducted investigations at the establishment on Tuesday and Wednesday

NSW Police confirmed there was about 15 to 20 diners inside the restaurant – all of whom were forced to evacuate.

There were about 150 residents living in apartments above the restaurant who were also forced to evacuate after the fire. 

Fire investigators and police officers conducted investigations at the restaurant on Tuesday and Wednesday. 

The man is in hospital in a serious condition. 

Safe Work NSW is investigating the matter.

Source

Related posts