Schoolgirl, 15, burns family home to the ground after cooking up a snack of deep fried chips

Sponsored Video
Spread the love
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •   
  •  
  •  

A late night snack almost turned deadly when a 15-year-old schoolgirl accidentally burned down her house while trying to cook deep fried chips. 

Linda Barrett, 55, her three daughters, and their two beloved dogs managed to escape the inferno on Tuesday night after cooking oil ‘ignited in an instant’. 

The blaze ripped through their Glenhaven home, northwest of Sydney, destroying the kitchen, dining room, lounge room and upstairs area.

Parts of the house that escaped the worst of the fire were still damaged by smoke and water. 

Up to 15 firefighters raced to the property and spent hours trying to save the family home.

The daughters, aged 13, 15 and 18, were all treated for shock before paramedics reassured them ‘accidents happen’.  

The loving mother said she had no ‘hard feelings’ against her 15-year-old daughter and said it was more important that no one was hurt. 

A 15-year-old Sydney schoolgirl accidentally burned her family home down (pictured) after a fire erupted while she was trying to cook fried chips on Tuesday night

A 15-year-old Sydney schoolgirl accidentally burned her family home down (pictured) after a fire erupted while she was trying to cook fried chips on Tuesday night

‘I know it was an accident but my daughter is heartbroken, she feels completely responsible,’ she told The Daily Telegraph.

‘But it was a silly split-second mistake, it could happen to anyone.’

The schoolgirl was heating up cooking oil before covering it with a lid, but when she opened the lid a fire erupted out. 

The quick thinking 15-year-old immediately raced to wake up her mother.

After a fire blanket failed to stop the blaze from spreading the entire family fled from the home. 

Mrs Barrett was dealt another devastating blow when her insurance company told her she wasn’t covered for house fires.

The Sydney mother had been paying two separate insurance premiums on her Jeep instead of on her car and her house. 

She said the busy life of a single mother had caused her to miss the simple error, which cost the family the protection they desperately needed. 

‘I want to teach my girls resilience so now I’ve been given the chance to give them a real life example of how to rebuild after adversity,’ she said.  

The schoolgirl woke up her mother, Linda Barrett, but after a fire blanket failed to prevent the spread of the blaze Mrs Barrett, her three daughters and their two dogs fled the home (pictured)

The schoolgirl woke up her mother, Linda Barrett, but after a fire blanket failed to prevent the spread of the blaze Mrs Barrett, her three daughters and their two dogs fled the home (pictured)

Mrs Barrett’s stepdaughter, Natalie Sutcliffe, set up a My Cause fundraising page for her family with hopes it could help them rebuild their lives. 

‘My mum and sisters have been made instantly homeless and lost everything,’ she wrote.

‘I have all faith of rallying the community, friends and family to help them get back on their feet.’

The family were told it would cost around $350,000 to fully repair their home. 

‘I would at least like to help them feel like they can make some moves forward in starting again,’ Mrs Sutcliffe wrote.  

In a second devastating blow for the family, Mrs Barrett's insurance doesn't cover house fire because she was paying two policies on her car instead of one on her house (pictured)

In a second devastating blow for the family, Mrs Barrett’s insurance doesn’t cover house fire because she was paying two policies on her car instead of one on her house (pictured)

Source


Spread the love
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •   
  •  
  •  

Related posts

Leave a Comment