A new limited-time Special Battle is now underway in Super Mario Bros. 35. This event runs through Sunday, November 15, and like previous Special Battles, it limits the stage rotation to only a specific handful of courses: in this case, Worlds 5-1 to 6-4.
Alongside the new Special Battle event, Nintendo has also rolled out another update for Super Mario Bros. 35. The Ver. 1.0.2 patch primarily resolves a handful of issues, including one that prevented players from throwing fireballs while underwater in certain situations, and another that let players open courses they hadn’t yet unlocked. You can see the full patch notes below.
Super Mario Bros. 35 is battle royale-style take on the original Super Mario Bros., featuring 35 players all vying to be the last Mario remaining. The game is exclusively available to Nintendo Switch Online subscribers and is one of several different games and products that Nintendo has released recently to commemorate the Super Mario series’ 35th anniversary, in addition to Super Mario 3D All-Stars and the newly launched Super Mario Bros. Game & Watch handheld.
“Delivering precisely what is advertised, Super Mario Bros. 35 delivers on familiar 2D platforming with an all-new competitive twist,” we wrote in our Super Mario Bros. 35 review. “Playing against 34 other Marios at once is a wonderful type of mayhem, as is facing off against hordes of enemies. However, early course repetition and late-game lulls slightly temper this Mushroom Kingdom celebration of Mario’s 35 years.”
Nintendo still has other events planned as part of its Super Mario 35th anniversary celebration. Next week, the company is holding a special Ninji Speedrun event in Super Mario Maker 2 featuring a course designed specifically for the series’ 35th anniversary. Splatoon 2 is also holding a Mario-themed Splatfest in January, while Animal Crossing: New Horizons is adding a line of Super Mario furniture in March. Nintendo is also bringing Super Mario 3D World to Switch with some new content on February 12.
Super Mario Bros. 35 Ver. 1.0.2 Patch Notes
- Fixed an issue where large numbers of enemies appearing on-screen would result in gameplay slowdown.
- Fixed an issue where, under certain conditions, players were unable to throw fireballs underwater.
- Fixed an issue where a special input would enable players to unlock unopened courses.
- Treasure chest coin pool amounts are now displayed during spectator mode.
- Adjusted the sound effect that plays as shells or other objects rapidly bounce back and forth within a single-block opening.
- Adjusted the speed-up timing of the countdown timer.
- Improved the overall gameplay experience.
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.