Supermodel Elle Macpherson has offered a look at her wellness regime and revealed how she transformed her body in just one week.
The 56-year-old mother-of-two revealed that while she used to ‘rely on genetics’ and apply what she did in her 20s and 30s to her 40s and 50s, she soon found that what she had always done wasn’t working as well.
‘It gets to a point where what you’ve done your whole life doesn’t work anymore,’ Australian model Elle Macpherson told British supermodel Rosie Huntington-Whiteley in a podcast.
Scroll down for video
Supermodel Elle Macpherson (pictured) has offered a look at her wellness regime and revealed how she has tweaked her approach now she is in her fifties
Elle went viral earlier this week after she showed off her ageless physique at age 56 in a string bikini earlier this week (pictured)
‘I’d always been interested in wellness… And when I had children, I was watching my body evolve and I wanted to learn more about how to support it through all the different phases of my life.’
Elle’s interest in wellness and her quest to help her changing body eventually led her to the Harley Street doctor Dr Simone Laubscher in 2008 – when she was 44.
‘The incredible Dr Lauscher introduced me to a plant-based diet and explained the importance of having an alkaline body and dietary approach,’ Elle said.
The alkaline diet is based on the idea that replacing acid-forming foods with alkaline foods can improve your health.
The 56-year-old (pictured) said while she used to rely on genetics, she swiftly realised that she was going to need to do things differently to her 20s and 30s
What is the alkaline diet?
* The alkaline diet is based on the idea that replacing acid-forming foods with alkaline foods can improve your health.
Elle (pictured) now follows the alkaline diet, which is based on the idea that replacing acid-forming foods with alkaline foods can improve your health
* Its premise is that your diet can alter the pH value – the measurement of acidity or alkalinity – of your body.
* Certain food groups are considered more acidic, like meat, poultry, fish, eggs, grains and alcohol.
* Others are considered to be more alkaline like fruit, vegetables, nuts and legumes.
* Your metabolism – the conversion of food into energy – is sometimes compared to fire. Both involve a chemical reaction that breaks down a solid mass.
* When things burn, an ash residue is left behind. Similarly, the foods you eat leave an ‘ash’ residue known as metabolic waste.
* This metabolic waste can be alkaline, neutral, or acidic. Proponents of this diet claim that metabolic waste can directly affect your body’s acidity.
Its premise is that your diet can alter the pH value – the measurement of acidity or alkalinity – of your body.
For Elle, this means replacing acidic foods and drinks like meat, poultry, fish, eggs, grains and alcohol with fruits, nuts, legumes, and vegetables.
Dr Laubscher also introduced the supermodel to other activities that help to lower overall inflammation in the body, such as upping her sleep and reducing her stress load where possible.
Elle’s (pictured) interest in wellness and her quest to help her changing body eventually led her to the Harley Street doctor, Dr Simone Laubscher, who put her on the alkaline diet
What is a typical day on Elle’s plate?
* BREAKFAST: Egg omelette, plenty of spinach and avocado.
* LUNCH: Salmon with lemon, olive oil, beetroot salad and pearl barley.
* DINNER: Sea bass with a Greek salad with goat’s cheese or halloumi.
* SNACK: Couple of dates, green tea.
* SMOOTHIE: 400ml almond milk, a scoop of WelleCo’s plant-based Nourishing Protein, half a frozen banana and a handful of berries.
‘In the beginning, Dr Laubscher put me on this super greens powder which has about 50 ingredients that amplify and boost each other as a sort of multi-vitamin and mineral,’ Elle said.
‘She also gave me a lot of different pills and a schedule as to when to take them.’
Within a week, the supermodel returned to Dr Laubscher and reported on the incredible progress:
‘I was a completely different woman,’ Elle recalled.
‘I had lost weight, I was vibrant, my hair, skin and nails were glowing, and I said I couldn’t believe the changes. But I told her the only thing I wanted was to not be taking all these pills all day.
‘I said to her: “Can you put it all together in one thing that I can take first thing in the morning?”‘
This was the original formulation for Elle’s Welleco business and her Super Elixir powder.
This is a daily health supplement formulated using a combination of 40 naturally derived ingredients, including wholefoods, herbal extracts, vitamins, minerals and probiotics.
The powder was made by Elle and Dr Simone Laubscher, and now sells across the world.
Within a week, the model (pictured) said she had lost weight, and her hair, skin and nails were glowing – but she didn’t want to keep taking multiple supplements daily
When it comes to Elle’s other well-being secrets, the model said she loves early nights, ocean swims and bike rides.
‘I typically get up early and do all my Welleco meetings on Zoom, before I go for a swim or a bike ride in the afternoon,’ she said.
The 56-year-old also meditates for just 15 minutes each day, and makes sure she drinks between two and three litres of water.
Finally, while she never prioritised sleep when her kids were young, Elle said she now never gets less than seven hours sleep.
What are Elle’s five golden health rules?
1. Hydrate: ‘My wellness routine starts with two teaspoons of Welleco’s Super Elixir every morning in cold spring water, or coconut water for extra hydration,’ Elle said.
Elle’s golden health rules include adequate hydration and good sleep
2. Get active: Elle makes sure she does 45 minutes of fitness every single day, whether that’s walking, running, swimming or yoga. She especially loves paddle boarding, hiking, biking and water skiing.
3. Sleep: Elle said she used to stay up until 2am when her kids were young, and she would think she was being really productive, but then she realised she was just depriving herself of sleep. Now, she makes sure she gets seven hours of shut-eye every single night.
4. Meditate: Elle swears by just 15 minutes of meditation each morning.
5. Schedule wellness: If you think you’re not managing to fit in your wellness, Elle said you need to diarise it to ensure it’s always a priority.