Sydney news: Simple act that saved the lives of teens after an electric bike battery caused fire


How three teenage girls survived a dangerous fire by doing one simple thing – after an electric bike sparked a massive blaze in their apartment

  • Dramatic rescue sees three teenage girls rescued from apartment fire
  • Crews were called to flat in Lidcombe at 1am on Sunday morning 
  • Charging electric bike sparked the blaze which engulfed the building
  • Firefighters found three teens hiding in bedroom with door closed 

Three teenagers were miraculously rescued from a burning apartment after cleverly  barricading themselves inside a bedroom with the door shut, something which firefighters say saved their lives.

Fire crews were called to a flat in Lidcombe just after 1am on Sunday morning after plumes of smoke were seen rising from a building on John Street.

Dramatic footage from the operation shows firefighters walking through the smokey apartment calling out to see if anyone was still inside, before finding three girls flashing their phone torches inside a bedroom.

Incident Controller Tim Horder said the decision to close the door and hide inside ‘is thought to have saved their lives’.

Three teenagers were rescued from an apartment in Sydney after an electric bike sparked the blaze on Sunday morning

Three teenagers were rescued from an apartment in Sydney after an electric bike sparked the blaze on Sunday morning

Video from last Sunday’s rescue shows firefighter Cem Dincer walking through the dark flat, calling out to see if anyone is still inside.

‘There’s a door here, I’m going to open it,’ he says to his team in the footage, before walking into another room and calling out to the girls.

‘Where are you?,’ he asks, before the girls call out: ‘I’m here’ and start waving their phone torches.

The girls hid inside a bedroom with the door shut - a move that saved their lives according to firefighters at the scene

The girls hid inside a bedroom with the door shut – a move that saved their lives according to firefighters at the scene

The teens rush to Mr Dincer, with one collapsing into his arms exhausted from breathing in the fumes.

‘Alright come with me, come with me,’ he says as the firefighter marches the girls safely out the window and onto the roof of the shop below, with a team waiting to escort them down the ladder.

He told Nine News he was ‘so happy’ when he found the girls and paid credit to the actions they took to remain alive.

‘They were scared, they were quite smart using their phone lights. I could see that straight away and just grabbed them,’ Mr Dincer said.

The charging e-bike started the fire in a shop in Lidcombe with smoke filling the apartment above

The charging e-bike started the fire in a shop in Lidcombe with smoke filling the apartment above

After putting out the fire, Mr Dincer and his team re-entered the flat to ensure no one else was left inside, before finding the cause of the fire – a charging electric bike in the kitchen downstairs.

Incident Controller Horder said the girls had decided to shut the door after learning about fire safety in school.

‘That did buy them time and stop smoke from filling the room,’ he said.

Another man, 31, who was in the shop downstairs managed to escape before the fire got out of control.

Source

Related posts