The seven-day 2023 reset you need to know about: These are the warning signs you need a ‘cleanse’ now – and the exact 10-step method that will leave you glowing
- Founder of wellness empire Beauty Chef Carla Oates shared her cleanse secrets
- Carla said if you have headaches and feel fatigued and sick, you need a cleanse
- She said when you get started you may have caffeine migraines and brain fog
- But if you push through you will enjoy radiant skin, energy and great digestion
- Carla shared the cleanse plan that will have you feeling better in just one week
With the new year in full swing, millions around the world will be thinking about or embarking upon a cleanse or detox from all of the alcohol, fat and sugar enjoyed over the festive season.
And while you might think you are prepared, you may not really know what happens to your body when you try to get rid of all those ‘toxins’.
Beauty mogul Carla Oates of The Beauty Chef recently shared the five ‘warning signs’ your body needs a cleanse, what you can expect from those first few hours and days, and the cleanse that will have you feeling better in a week.
‘Our bodies communicate quite clearly with us when they’re in need of a cleanse – we simply need to listen,’ Carla posted on Instagram.
Beauty mogul Carla Oates (pictured) of The Beauty Chef recently shared the five ‘warning signs’ your body needs a cleanse, what you can expect from those first few hours and days
The beauty mogul said people who are in desperate need of a cleanse might have digestive issues as well as problem skin (pictured before and after)
The warning signs you need a cleanse now
1. You have digestive issues
The first – and most obvious – sign you need a cleanse is if you’re struggling with any kind of digestive issues.
‘Your liver is one of your body’s main elimination organs – sending processed chemicals to your bowels to be excreted – but if your bowels aren’t moving properly, your body will struggle to eliminate them,’ Carla said.
If you are feeling bloated or struggling in the bathroom, it could be a sign it’s time to cut down on the wine and up your leafy green content.
2. You’re fatigued
The second sign you need a cleanse is if you’re always tired.
‘Your liver is in charge of neutralising waste and toxins, but when it becomes overburdened, fatigue is a common symptom,’ Carla said.
‘As the body faces an ever-increasing build-up of harmful substances, it can struggle to devote enough energy to other important bodily functions, leaving you feeling tired and lethargic.’
Focus on upping your sleep to at least seven hours each night, and try to limit your alcohol consumption in order to restore yourself.
3. You get sick often
If you’re the person with a perpetual cold, Carla said it’s likely your gut microbiome is out of whack.
‘Given that 70 per cent of your immune system lies in your digestive tract, your immune health is heavily reliant on the state of your inner ecosystem and supporting it becomes even more important,’ she said.
‘If your liver is struggling to eliminate toxins, your skin will attempt to pick up the slack by expelling the waste through your skin cells,’ Carla said (pictured before and after)
4. You have problem skin
In addition to this, your skin will often show if your immune system needs a break.
‘If your liver is struggling to eliminate toxins, your skin will attempt to pick up the slack by expelling the waste through your skin cells,’ Carla said.
‘Likewise, if your bowels aren’t moving properly, toxins may be retained in your body systems – including the lymphatics, which sit just under the skin.’
Those who persist with a cleanse can expect much-improved skin and increased luminosity following a ‘purge’ period.
‘Unexplained headaches, migraines or brain fog are a common sign that your body needs a cleanse,’ Carla said (stock image)
5. You often get headaches
Finally, if you’re suffering from headaches all the time, it’s also a sure-fire sign your body needs a break.
‘Unexplained headaches, migraines or brain fog are a common sign that your body needs a cleanse,’ Carla said.
‘While ongoing headaches are certainly worth investigating with your healthcare professional, you may find that your headache is also to do with an overload of toxins in the body.’
When you have made the decision to begin a cleanse, Carla (pictured) said there are a few things you can expect in the first few hours and days – and they’re not always the best parts
What to expect when you start a cleanse
What to expect when you first start a cleanse
* Minor skin breakouts
* General aches and pains
When you have made the decision to begin a cleanse, Carla said there are a few things you can expect in the first few hours and days – and they’re not always the best parts.
‘Some common side effects you may experience during a 14-Day Cleanse Program include headaches, minor skin breakouts, fatigue, moodiness and general aches and pains,’ she wrote.
‘But don’t worry! These are all normal signs that your body’s elimination and detoxification pathways are feeling a little overwhelmed due to the cleansing process.’
Carla added that a lot of people will get withdrawal symptoms when they dramatically reduce or eliminate caffeine at the start.
The wellness expert recommends you combat this by boosting your water intake to at least 2–3 litres of filtered water each day.
If you’re struggling, you can also reduce your exercise intensity.
When it comes to cleanse-boosting foods, Carla recommends plenty of leafy greens, complex carbohydrates and foods that are high in protein (pictured)
All negative side effects should subside within a week to 10 days, and you should start to feel lighter, brighter and have increased energy (Carla Oates pictured)
However, you may break out while your skin goes through a purge cycle (pictured before and after)
‘Opt for regular, but moderate exercise if you’re feeling fatigued during a program,’ Carla said.
You should also look to include complex carbohydrates, protein and leafy green vegetables with every meal.
However, all negative side effects should subside within a week to 10 days, and you should start to feel lighter, brighter and have increased energy.
‘Science has found that it takes 21 to 66 days to re-wire our brains and change a habit, so by the time you have reached that short-term goal, chances are your resolution will have become a habit,’ Carla wrote.
Within a month, you should be enjoying radiant skin, improved gut health, better digestion and more energy.
The cleanse to follow to feel better within a week
Carla (pictured) shared the 10 steps to follow in a cleanse to feel better within just one week
1. BOOST YOUR HYDRATION: The first thing Carla said you should do is boost your hydration to make sure you’re drinking between two and three litres of water every single day. Drinking lots of water helps the body to cleanse itself and get rid of any waste or toxins.
2. LOAD UP ON FIBRE: Once you’ve upped your hydration, the second thing you need to do is load up your plate with plenty of fibre. To increase the fibre content of your meals, you could look to include plenty of fruit and veg with everything you eat.
3. DITCH GUT-COMPROMISING FOODS: On the flipside, any gut-compromising foods need to be ditched for the five days for good health. These include gluten, dairy, refined sugars, caffeine and alcohol.
4. FAVOUR FERMENTED FOODS: Once you’ve rid your diet of ‘gut-compromising foods’, Carla said you need to add some fermented items to your diet. Good fermented food options include sauerkarut, kimchi, kefir, yoghurt and miso. You should aim to include 1-2 servings per day.
5. DRY BODY BRUSH: Dry body brushing is the ancient practice that sees devotees brush their body in order to stimulate the lymphatic system and rid the body of toxins.
6. MOVE MINDFULLY: Alongside dry body brushing, mindful movement is key to a successful cleanse. Carla said you should incorporate some form of movement into every day, whether that be yoga, Pilates, walking or something more high intensity like running.
7. EAT THE RAINBOW: ‘Where possible, opt for dark blue, purple or red fruits and veggies – including purple carrots, sweet potato, beetroot and berries – as these are richer in antioxidants,’ Carla recommended.
8. GO GREEN: Swap harsh chemical-laden cleaning products for plant-derived, natural products and it’s not only your home that will feel the benefits – but your body too. If you’re unsure where to start, Carla said it’s best to avoid anything that contains phthalates, sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), parabens and synthetic colours or fragrances.
9. DETOX YOUR BEAUTY CUPBOARD: In the same way that cleaning products can harm your health and body, so too can the items you put on your skin and with your makeup. Always read your ingredients lists.
10. FOCUS ON SLEEP: Finally, Carla revealed sleep is one of the keys to getting your dream body. If you struggle to sleep, then try to focus on creating an environment that helps to bring on sleep – without any blue light or technology. You should also avoid exercising too close to bedtime, which can impact your shut-eye.