- Bacari-Bronze O’Garro was found guilty of breaching a court order last month
- Judge Matthew Bone told TikTok menace Mizzy: ‘Your pranks are not funny’
TikTok menace Mizzy was today sentenced to 18 weeks’ detention in a young offenders institution and banned from posting on social media for two years having been found guilty of breaching a court order.
The controversial 19-year-old ‘prankster’, real name Bacari-Bronze O’Garro, had been ordered by Thames Magistrates Court ‘not to upload directly or indirectly, any original video content on social media, without prior documented consent of the people in that content.’
However, on October 26, Stratford Magistrates Court ruled that he had ‘deliberately and intentionally’ flouted the order mere hours after it was imposed upon him, by posting a video on X, formerly Twitter, which featured passers-by without their permission at Westfield Stratford – a location the order had also banned him from.
Today at Stratford Magistrates’ Court, District Judge Matthew Bone sentenced him to eighteen weeks at a young offender’s institution – half of which will be served on licence.
He told prankster O’Garro that he simply ‘wasn’t funny’.
He said: ‘I concede that there may be some prospect of rehabilitation in the community, and I accept the mitigation.
‘But it must be clearly understood by all that for such an immediate breach of the criminal behaviour order, detention is what is appropriate.
‘The defendant caused ordinary members of the public harassment, alarm, and distress – and then profited from that. I want to ensure this does not happen again.’
District Judge Bone also strengthened O’Garro’s already existing criminal behaviour order, banning him from posting videos on social media for the next two years.
He said: ‘Following application by the prosecutor, I am satisfied that the criminal behaviour order you were subjected to should be strengthened.
‘I am satisfied that your offending arose from a desire to be famous, gaining notoriety from posting your so-called ‘prank’ videos’.
‘I use the phrase “so-called” for a reason. Those were “so-called pranks” that caused members of the public significant alarm and distress. Simply put, they are not funny.
‘Your allure to fame is clear, meaning you need further help so as to not reoffend.
‘Therefore, for two years starting from today, you must not publish or share or attempt to publish or share any video footage; you must not act with anyone else to publish or share or attempt to publish or share any video footage; and you must not contribute to any social media account other than your own.
‘You must not trespass on any private property, or enter the E20 postcode area of London, unless travelling on public transport for pre-arranged child arrangements.’
O’Garro, wearing black jacket and black trousers, remained passive while his sentence was read out to him.
In mitigation remarks, Barrister Paul Lennon, defending O’Garro, urged the court to consider his young age and his personal circumstances. He said: ‘Mr O’Garro is 19 years old, and he was 18 at the time of the offending.
‘He is currently studying at Haringey Sixth Form College. At the end of the course, which I am told he is performing extremely well on, he will have the opportunity to move on to higher education.
‘He is predicted to achieve a distinction. He is very academic, very hands-on, and his timekeeping is good.
‘He has recently gained employment as a waiter at a restaurant in Islington.
‘In terms of his family relationships, his relationship with his mother is both good and bad. He has not had any contact with his father since he was two years old.
‘He has two sisters, who he has good relationships with. One sister is in court today.
‘He has a one-year-old son, who he has access to once a week, every week.
‘His relationship with the mother of his child is difficult, but he still attempts to have as much time with his child as he can.
‘The clear factor in mitigation here is his age, his immaturity. But he is in college, he is employed, he is actively trying to better himself.’
Mr Lennon requested that O’Garro be given a community sentence, rather than a custodial or suspended sentence. He said: ‘Judge, this is the longest pre-sentence report I have ever read. He has been fully assessed.
‘I understand we are in suspended sentence territory. But I believe a community sentence is more appropriate in light of his age and lack of maturity.’
Mr Lennon also argued for O’Garro’s criminal behaviour order not to be strengthened, claiming that ‘social media is a main part of many young people’s lives’.
But District Judge Bone replied: ‘The order does not ban him from social media. It does not prevent him from sharing photographs of himself, or information about who he is with.
‘It prevents him from sharing videos, which is what caused all the problems in this case, because it is here where he shared his so-called pranks.’
District Judge Bone also refused to hand O’Garro only a community sentence, although he did say he had taken mitigation into account – in particular his age, the fact that ‘he did not have the best start in life’, and the ‘helpful character statement provided by Haringey College for the pre-sentencing report.’
Speaking outside court, Yasmin Lalani – Detective Chief Inspector at the Central East Command for the Met Police, said: ‘I think it is appropriate sentence when you have disregard for the law.
‘I hope that he gets some help in the Youth Offenders Institution. Hopefully he will get some help that will prevent him from reoffending.
‘I think this is a loud and clear message that nobody is above the law and that you have got to be held accountable.
‘I think the right result has come through, more for the public as well, because I think the community were upset with the lack of respect for the law of the country and the distress and harassment he was causing, it was a blatant disregard for the harassment and distress of the community.’
The sentencing comes after O’Garro had previously pleaded not guilty to four counts of breaking his criminal behaviour order, which led to District Judge Matthew Bone criticising him for ‘lacking all credibility’.
District Judge Bone found him guilty ‘on two occasions of an intentional and a deliberate challenge to this order’ – for the video filmed at Westfield, and for footage in which he ‘roughed up’ a schoolboy and a man with dwarfism and posted the video to Snapchat on July 7, 2023.
‘The suggestion he had proper consent of these people was nonsense. The offending is very significant here,’ said Judge Bone.
O’Garro was found not guilty of breaching the order for two videos – one, posted to X, of him cycling around a Sainsburys, and another which showed him doing the same through a Jobcentre.
District Judge Bone also highlighted the fact that on May 24, the same day the criminal behaviour order was imposed, O’Garro had appeared on Piers Morgan’s TalkTV show Uncensored and slated the UK’s criminal justice system.
Later that evening, in the video posted from Westfield Stratford, O’Garro said to the camera: ‘I’m banned from this place, I can’t go in here. The UK law is a joke.’