WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. — A Tropical Storm Watch is in effect for the Treasure Coast and Palm Beach County and a Tropical Storm Warning For Miami-Dade County down through the Florida Keys as Tropical Storm Eta is forecast to bring deteriorating conditions this weekend.
As of 1 p.m. Saturday, Eta was moving northeast at 17 mph with maximum sustained winds of 60 mph.
According to the National Hurricane Center in Miami, the center of Eta will approach the Cayman Islands later Saturday, be near central Cuba on Saturday evening and Sunday, and near the Florida Keys or South Florida on Sunday night and Monday.
Eta is forecast to strengthen through Sunday.
A turn toward the north and northwest are expected by Sunday afternoon.
“Computer models taking it across Cuba and then some models, in fact, take this system right across Miami-Dade County and then eventually into the Gulf of Mexico,” WPTV First Alert meteorologist Steve Villanueva said.
However, the computer model that the National Hurricane Center likes to follow — which is a combination of several models — keeps Eta’s center closer to Key West, Villanueva said.
Villanueva said the impacts of Eta in South Florida will really be felt Sunday into Monday.
He said there could be as much as 10 inches of rain in spots.
A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for south Florida from Golden Beach to Chokoloskee, including Florida Bay, as well as for the Florida Keys from Ocean Reef to the Dry Tortugas.
A Tropical Storm Watch is now in effect along the Florida east coast north of Sebastien Inlet to the Brevard/Volusia county line.
A Tropical Storm Watch is now in effect for the Florida west coast north of Bonita Beach to Englewood.
SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT:
A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for…
* The Cayman Islands
* The Cuban provinces of Camaguey, Ciego de Avila, Sancti Spiritus,
Villa Clara, Cienfuegos, and Matanzas.
* Northwestern Bahamas, including the Abacos, Andros Island, Berry Islands, Bimini, Eleuthera, Grand Bahama Island, and New Providence.
* Florida coast from Golden Beach to Chokoloskee, including Florida Bay.
* The Florida Keys from Ocean Reef to the Dry Tortugas
A Tropical Storm Watch is in effect for…
* The Cuban provinces of La Habana, Artemisa, Mayabeque, Pinar del Rio, and the Isle of Youth.
* Florida east coast north of Golden Beach Florida to the Brevard/Volusia county line
* Florida west coast north of Chokoloskee to Englewood
* Lake Okeechobee