A security guard at Victoria’s Parliament House has tested positive for coronavirus.
Victoria’s Parliament House and grounds have been closed for cleaning and contact tracing has begun.
Politicians are waiting on advice from Victoria’s Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) to see if they need individual testing, although some have already taken this precaution.
The security guard tested positive on Thursday to the virus.
Victoria’s Parliament House pictured on Sunday. A security guard has tested positive to coronavirus, prompting the closure of Parliament for deep cleaning
It is not yet known whether he was infectious and working when parliament sat earlier this month.
The Legislative Assembly last sat on September 3 and 4, while the Legislative Council sat on September 1 and 2, according to the Parliament of Victoria website.
Legislative Assembly Speaker Colin Brooks and Legislative Council President Nazih Elasmar said in a joint statement on Sunday that the contracted security guard had stayed home on the day and started to feel unwell.
‘Deep cleaning of the areas where the person worked in the building has been undertaken and is continuing. This is on top of the ongoing high-level cleaning already undertaken in Parliament House each weekday,’ the statement said.
A woman is tested for coronavirus in Bonbeach, Melbourne on August 20. Victoria recorded 41 new cases on Sunday for a total of 19,835 of which 1157 are active. The States of Emergency and Disaster which underpin the new coronavirus rules have been extended by a month
Parliament House and grounds have been closed for cleaning until further notice, however it is likely they may be re-opened in time for the Legislative Council’s next scheduled sittings on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Parliamentary security guards are unable to work elsewhere under current contract arrangements.
Victoria recorded 41 new coronavirus cases on Sunday bringing the state’s total to 19,835 with 723 deaths, the DHHS said in an emailed release.
There are 1,157 active cases of which 116 are in hospital and 11 in intensive care.
Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews said the number of ‘mystery’ cases, where the source of community transmission cannot be traced, has fallen by 11 since yesterday, however he has extended the State of Emergency and the State of Disaster for another four weeks, beginning tomorrow.
The Parliament of Victoria building and grounds (pictured on Sunday) are closed until further notice. The Legislative Council is scheduled to sit again on Tuesday and Wednesday. It is not known whether this will be affected
Victoria’s State of Disaster came into operation on Sunday, August 2, alongside the Stage Four restrictions.
The State of Emergency was already in force at the time, and the two declarations have operated together.
The legal instruments are what allows the Victorian government to enforce emergency coronavirus rules such as making face masks mandatory, introducing covid-safe work plans and requiring people to isolate in quarantine.
Mr Andrews said the two declarations underpin the emergency coronavirus rules.
‘It underpins taking those safe and steady steps,’ he told reporters on Sunday.
The State of Emergency and State of Disaster are now scheduled to end just before midnight on October 11.
MELBOURNE’S ROADMAP OUT OF COVID-19 LOCKDOWN – WHAT YOU WILL BE ABLE TO DO AND WHEN:
Step one: The first step will come in to place on September 13.
Step two: The second step will be implemented when Melbourne has 30-50 COVID-19 cases a day on average over the past 14 days. The aim is for this to come into place on September 28.
Step three: The move to step three will occur when there is a daily statewide average of five new cases over the past 14 days. The aim is for this to come into place on October 26.
Step four: The move to step four will come when there have been no new COVID-19 cases in the past 14 days. The aim is for this to come into place on November 23.
COVID Normal: After 28 days of no new COVID-19 cases, things will return to normal.
Step one – 11.59pm on September 13:
– Curfew will be eased to 9pm-5am
– People can still only leave home for the four reasons (shopping, exercise, work and care or medical attention)
– Public gatherings increased to two people, or a household, for a maximum of two hours
– Singles can have one nominated person to their home as part of the ‘singles social bubble’
– Childcare and early educators to remain closed
– Schools will continue to learn remotely unless they have exemptions
– Adult education to continue to be done remotely, unless they have exemption
– Only go to work if you are in a permitted industry
– Cafes and restaurants will continue with take away only
– Retail businesses will remain open for essential shopping, with others only operating with click and collect
– Only one person per household can do the essential shopping
Step two – September 28:
– Public gatherings increase again to five people from a maximum of two households
– Childcare and early educators can re-open
– Schools to continue with remote learning, but Prep to Grade Two and Year 11 and Year 12 students will gradually return to class in Term 4
– There will be an increase to permitted workplaces
Step three – October 26:
– Curfew is no longer in place
– There are no restrictions on leaving home
– Public gatherings increase to 10 people together outdoors
– A ‘household bubble’ will be introduced, so five people from one house can visit another
– Remote learning to continue, but Grades 3 to Year 11 can gradually return to class
– Adult education to continue to be done remotely, but hands on classes will see a phased return to onsite
– Work from home is encouraged
– Up to 10 people can eat together at restaurants and cafes, with the majority of tables outdoor
– Retail shops to reopen, with hairdresses operating under safety measures but beauty stores to remain closed
– Real estate agents can conduct private inspections by appointment
– The one person per household limit on shopping is to be revoked
Step four – November 23:
– Public gatherings to increase to 50 people outdoors
– Up to 20 visitors can attend a home at any one time
– All adult education will return to onsite with safety measures in place
– Groups limited to 20 indoors and a maximum of 50 patrons per venue
– All retail stores to reopen, while real estate agents can operate with safety measures and by keeping a record of attendants
Step five – COVID normal:
– Public gatherings have no restriction
– There will also be no restriction on visitors to homes
– Phased return to onsite work for work from home workers
– Schools to reopen as normal
– Restrictions on hospitality removed, but venues to continue keeping records