Woman, 23, unknowingly filmed TikTok of herself going into anaphylactic shock

Woman, 23, reveals she unknowingly filmed TikTok of herself going into anaphylactic shock and claims she was ‘minutes’ away from dying

  • Madison Lewis, 23, filmed herself breaking out in hives all over her body 
  • The woman, from California, says she then went into anaphylactic shock
  • Madison, who has Lyme disease, was rushed to the emergency room  

A woman has gone viral after unknowingly filming her body going into anaphylactic shock – and claims she was minutes away from dying. 

Madison Lewis, 23, a customer success engineer, from Los Angeles, recalls the moment her organs began to ‘shut down’ after suffering a severe allergic reaction to medication.

In 2015, she started suffering with a range of worrying symptoms, such as her body going numb, joint swelling and temporary facial paralysis. She decided to seek medical advice and in October 2016, she was diagnosed with Lyme disease, a bacterial infection which is spread through ticks.

In a bid to treat the condition, she was placed on multiple antibiotics, but soon, her whole body felt like it was ‘on fire’ and her lips started to turn blue.

Last month a concerned Madison documented the symptoms in a TikTok – which now has 3.9 million views – just moments before she needed to be rushed to the emergency room.

She initially filmed the clips after getting worried by the excessive itching and swelling of her body. A caption in the video explained that she went into anaphylactic shock ‘right after’ they were taken, and her boyfriend took her to the hospital. 

A woman who unknowingly filmed herself going into anaphylactic shock claims she was minutes away from dying as her organs began to 'shut down' (pictured)

Madison Lewis (pictured on a previous trip to the hospital), 23, from Los Angeles, recalled how her 'lips turned blue', with clips capturing her skin becoming bright red

A woman who unknowingly filmed herself going into anaphylactic shock claims she was minutes away from dying as her organs began to ‘shut down’. Madison Lewis (pictured right on a previous trip to the hospital), 23, from Los Angeles, recalled how her ‘lips turned blue’, with clips capturing her skin becoming bright red

The customer success engineer (pictured), who was diagnosed with Lyme disease in 2016, explained that she was placed on multiple antibiotics to treat the bacterial infection

The customer success engineer (pictured), who was diagnosed with Lyme disease in 2016, explained that she was placed on multiple antibiotics to treat the bacterial infection

‘I was minutes away from having to be intubated to ensure I would still have an airway to breathe,’ Madison claimed. ‘My lips turned blue and all the blood in my body was rising to the top of my skin, instead of properly circulating to my organs.

‘All of my major organs were deprived of blood flow temporarily, until the Epipen and steroids were able to calm things down.’

Madison explained that at first she wasn’t too concerned because she has had previous reactions where she broke out in hives. However, it soon became apparent this was a different beast.  

‘I was uncomfortably itchy and within minutes, my hands were bright red and felt like they were on fire,’ she said. ‘The rest of my body began to itch excessively and it felt like my whole body was swelling up.’

‘I started to worry once I realised how fast it was spreading and how weird I felt.

‘I knew something was really wrong when every minute that went by I could feel myself getting worse.’

In the TikTok, Madison can be seen covered in bright red hives, showing the spread of the reaction.

Madison documented the reaction on TikTok

She explained that she initially wasn't too concerned

Madison (pictured left during her reaction, and right, before) explained that she initially wasn’t too concerned because she has had previous reactions where she broke out in hives

In the TikTok, Madison can be seen covered in bright red hives showing the spread of the reaction

In the TikTok, Madison can be seen covered in bright red hives showing the spread of the reaction

Madison says she went into anaphylactic shock after the video was filmed (pictured)

The hives had spread throughout her body

Madison says she went into anaphylactic shock after the video was filmed (pictured) 

The reaction spread through her body. Madison said: 'I knew something was really wrong when every minute that went by I could feel myself getting worse'

The reaction spread through her body. Madison said: ‘I knew something was really wrong when every minute that went by I could feel myself getting worse’

She told the camera: ‘I’m having a crazy allergic reaction right now.’

Users rushed to the comments to share their concerns, with many speaking about their own terrifying experiences.

One viewer wrote: ‘Girl I saw those blue lips and almost called 911 for you!!!!’ ‘GET THE EPI PEN STAT,’ another person added.

Another user said: ‘Anaphylactic shock is nothing to play with girl. Been there twice almost died both times.’

‘Bro!!!! Next time this happens call 911 right away or drive to ER skip video part,’ said someone else.

Madison in the emergency room

A caption in the video said that she went into anaphylactic shock 'right after' the clips were taken, and her boyfriend rushed her to the emergency room. Madison (pictured left and right in the emergency room) now wants to raise awareness of the condition

A caption in the video said that she went into anaphylactic shock ‘right after’ the clips were taken, and her boyfriend rushed her to the emergency room. Madison (pictured left and right in the emergency room) now wants to raise awareness of the condition

Madison pictured with her boyfriend, who rushed her to the emergency room after she had an allergic reaction

Madison pictured with her boyfriend, who rushed her to the emergency room after she had an allergic reaction

Madison said before her 2016 diagnosis with Lyme disease, she had been a student athlete, and started suffering with a range of worrying symptoms, such as her body going numb, joint swelling and temporary facial paralysis.

After failing the standard run test, in which she was unable to make it across the field, Madison decided to seek medical advice – which resulted in her having to retire.

She said: ‘I had to retire from my athletic career and pursue full time Lyme disease treatment.

Users rushed to the comments to share their concerns, with many sharing their own terrifying experiences

Users rushed to the comments to share their concerns, with many sharing their own terrifying experiences

‘It’s very scary and very serious. It affects all aspect of your body in different ways and some of the worst symptoms include constant fatigue, brain fog, cognitive decline, sensitivity to light and extreme anxiety.

‘I also suffer with muscle weakness, nausea and temperature irregulation.’

Madison hopes her ordeal and experience increases awareness of the ‘invisible illness’.  

‘Awareness for anaphylactic shock is crucial and healing from an illness or not, your body can become allergic to anything,’ she added.

‘As for Lyme disease, people need to be aware of the detrimental effects this has on someone’s life.

Madison, pictured earlier this year, hopes her ordeal and experience increases awareness of the 'invisible illness'

Madison (pictured before her diagnosis) said before her 2016 diagnosis with Lyme disease - a bacterial infection which is spread through ticks - she had been a student athlete

Madison (pictured before her diagnosis, right) said before her 2016 diagnosis with Lyme disease – a bacterial infection which is spread through ticks – she had been a student athlete

‘It’s a growing problem each year and it’s a debilitating disease that will change your life forever if you don’t get treatment immediately upon infection.

‘I love to document everything about my health journey so people know they aren’t alone if they’re going through something similar.

‘Documenting my journey has always been important to me, because I have learned so much through healing from a chronic illness and I know how alone you can feel. Never give up and always stay strong.’

WHAT IS LYME DISEASE?

Lyme disease is caused by a bacteria that is transmitted to humans through the bite of infected black-legged ticks.

The most common symptoms of the disease are fever, headache, fatigue and a skin rash called erythema migrans.

The disease can typically be treated by several weeks of oral antibiotics.

But if left untreated, the infection can spread to the joints, heart and nervous symptoms and be deadly.  

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU ARE INFECTED?

During the first three to 30 days of infection, these symptoms may occur:

  • Fever
  • Chills
  • Headache
  • Fatigue
  • Muscle and joint aches
  • Swollen lymph nodes
  • Erythema migrans (EM) rash 

The rash occurs in approximately 80 per cent of infected people.

It can expand to up to 12 inches (30 cm), eventually clearing and giving off the appearance of a target or a ‘bull’s-eye’.

Later symptoms of Lyme disease include:

  • Severe headaches and neck stiffness
  • Additional rashes
  • Arthritis with joint pain and swelling
  • Facial or Bell’s palsy
  • Heart palpitations
  • Problems with short-term memory
  • Nerve pain 

Source: CDC

Advertisement

Source

Related posts