Cleaner is found dead at a Woolworths supermarket as cops investigate the tragic circumstances
- A cleaner has died after suffering injuries at a Woolworths store near Newcastle
- Paramedics said the woman suffered fatal injuries at the Jesmond supermarket
- Police said there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding the tragic death
- Woolworths said, the woman was an employee from a third-party cleaning firm
- ‘We are deeply saddened by this tragic incident,’ the retail giant said on Friday
- For confidential crisis support contact Lifeline on 13 11 14
A cleaner has been found dead inside a supermarket after suffering ‘fatal injuries’ with police investigating the circumstances.
The woman hurt herself at the Woolworths store on Blue Gum Road in Jesmond, near Newcastle, NSW on Friday about 7.30am, police said.
Woolworths told Daily Mail Australia the woman was an employee of a third-party cleaning firm that provided specialist cleaning services in-store.
The woman was injured at the Woolworths store on Blue Gum Road in Jesmond, near Newcastle (pictured) on Friday at 7.30am, police said.
‘We are deeply saddened by this tragic incident and our thoughts are with the woman’s loved ones at this difficult time, a Woolworths spokesperson said.
‘We are assisting SafeWork NSW and NSW Police as well as working with our contract cleaning partner.
‘Our priority at this time is providing support to the woman’s family and our store team members.’
Officers from Newcastle Police District have established a crime scene and commenced an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident.
Police said there were no initial suspicious circumstances around the death, while a report will be prepared for the coroner.
The Jesmond store remains closed at this time.
Lifeline 13 11 14
Woolworths told Daily Mail Australia the woman was an employee of a third-party cleaning firm that provided specialist cleaning services in-store